Why become a member? ×

FEELER: Frankenstein and Upgraded basses

Aussiephoenix

hey guys, this is just a feeler so I get an Idea of what my frankensteins are worth. (These aren't the latest photos, but they are recent enough.)

First up, the Real Frankenstein:

Specs:
[list]
[*]Precision body (unknown source)
[*]Maple Jazz Neck (Dr. Parts)
[*]Wizard Thumper (Precision Pickup)
[*]Wizard Magic (Musicman Humbucker)
[*]Aguilar OBP3 TK
[*]See-through Stingray scratchplate (Modified)
[*]Neck Pickup Precision Cover.
[*]Schaller 2000 fully adjustable Bridge
[*]Straplocks
[/list]

Next Up, The Upgraded Squier:

This is a Squier Jazz 5 Deluxe (a nice base actually, surprised me.) with a few mods:

[list]
[*]Nordstrand NJ5 Pickups
[*]Audere-Z Preamp
[*]Schaller 2000 fully adjustable Bridge
[*]Straplocks
[*]The string retainer has been swapped for a bigger retainer, covering the 5 strings
[/list]

Im not really looking to sell them, just curious at what people think they are worth.
Thanks for your opinions.

Edited by Aussiephoenix

[quote name='Soloshchenko' post='651914' date='Nov 11 2009, 07:51 PM']One of those squiers just went stock for £200 in my local shop so your probably looking at around that mark. Not sure about the other but I really like it mate.[/quote]

It certainly wouldn't have gone for £200 loaded with Nordstrand Pups and a Audere Preamp in it never mind all the other mods.

As for the values i really don't know mate, probably the sum of all parts minus 25% - 30% but that Precision looks immense! must sound huge?!

[quote name='spacecowboy' post='652172' date='Nov 12 2009, 12:39 AM']It certainly wouldn't have gone for £200 loaded with Nordstrand Pups and a Audere Preamp in it never mind all the other mods.

As for the values i really don't know mate, probably the sum of all parts minus 25% - 30% but that Precision looks immense! must sound huge?![/quote]

Yeah, I must have had my mad scientist's cap when I thought it up. Even though the OBP3 gives a lot of shaping options, this isnt a subtle instrument...it doesnt lay down the tracks, it pounds them home :)

I'd be a little biased to answer that... This bass went through a lot of mods...
When I got it from Bassaussie, it was covered in black cracked paint, and it had cutouts for soapbar pickups.
So I made some plugs for it and then carved the P and MM holes.
At the time, I had a Precision pup rewired by a friend, and a no-name MM humbucker... first time I put it together with strings, I realised that the pups sucked, but, that aside, I liked the general effect (this without a preamp and wired direct to the jack)
With the new Wizard Pickups... specially that Thumper... its a totally diferent bass... (Thanks to the BC'rs that sold me the Wizards. love'em.)
Unfortunately I dont have any clips recorded... I've been meaning to do that for ages now, yet never get around to it.

The pickups kinda follow the sandberg idea. the P is reversed so that the Bass side is lower than the Trebble side, which does add more sound definition.

The bass was already routed for a preamp cavity, so I knew what to put in there, in went the OBP3 (Had a hard time arranging everything so it'd fit... its a small enclosure).
So other than the normal OBP3 shaping options, I added a 3way coil tap on the MM pup to give me Series, Parallel and Bridge coil Soloed.

With the dr Parts neck its very snappy and brings out a thunderous slap sound. I'M quite happy with it. it was my first attempt at frankensteining, so, the finish, etc isnt perfect, but its a very usable bass, and the main thing is that its actually put together very solidly, the neck pocket is a perfect fit, etc.