Why become a member? ×

Getting a good tone with my SVT (late 70's)

Mizzle

Hi guys,

I'm having a tough time getting a useful let alone good tone out of my SVT late 70's (accompanied by NV610) with my Geddy Lee Jazz, at present it just sounds like mud with everything set flat (bass and amp). I got a better tone when turning the treble to about 14.00, the mids to 15.00 (switch on 800hz) and bass at 11.00-11.30 (both treble and bass boost off) but then it sounded a bit shy on the low end.

My other basses (warwick thumb, musicman, P-bass) all sound good through it so I guess I need to tweak a bit more but could use some suggestions.

I know the bass sounds good enough as I have got very good results through my Shuttle 6.0 and Barefaced Compact.

Thanks in advance (sorry if it's the wrong section).

:)

[quote name='umph' post='639933' date='Oct 29 2009, 12:12 PM']has it been serviced recently? also try boosting hte lower mids as apposed to the highs[/quote]

+1, if the valves are funked then it will really drag its heels, although if the bias is set too low (cool) then it will become thinner and brighter

Thanks for the replies, unfortunately it has not been serviced recently as I do not know of anywhere near me that can do it and m.o.n.e.y (but I think I should put some aside to get it back to the way it should be). With regards to the low mid boost I’ll give that a go and I will try to favour the bridge pup. I’ll report back later after a bit of a mess around.