Why become a member? ×

Trace Elliot Woes.......

farmer61

My Standy, standby combo has just been brought in to take place in my music room. It's been fine when used in the past (about 4 weeks ago) it's now developed an annoying hum (buzz) when switched on.

I've tried different power sources and leads but still the same. even when volume is on zero with gain the hum continues. The only way I can stop it is to remove the speaker lead from the speaker input on the rear, I assume it's a short or something.

Any wizzos out there got any great ideas.

Amp plays ok with the hum constant.

Cheers

Edited by farmer61

[quote name='farmer61' post='634720' date='Oct 23 2009, 05:27 PM']My Standy, standby combo has just been brought in to take place in my music room. It's been fine when used in the past (about 4 weeks ago) it's now developed an annoying hum (buzz) when switched on.

I've tried different power sources and leads but still the same. even when volume is on zero with gain the hum continues. The only way I can stop it is to remove the speaker lead from the speaker input on the rear, I assume it's a short or something.

Any wizzos out there got any great ideas.

Amp plays ok with the hum constant.

Cheers[/quote]
Help?

Do you have other equipment plugged in and turned on at the same time? Has it only started humming since you brought it into the practice room?

It could be a short somewhere but it is more likely that an earth lead has come loose somewhere. Try unplugging everything and then plug it all in and power up piece by piece. If you still get the hum with just the combo plugged in check the earth lead in the plug, the socket and any extensions you have connected. If you are comfortable opening it up you could try looking inside to see if any earth leads are loose.

Does the amp have a ground lift switch? If so try toggling it.

If the hum is not present with just the combo plugged in just started powering up stuff one by one. Do the same checks with each new device.

Be very careful.

[quote name='Tengu' post='636901' date='Oct 26 2009, 01:57 PM']Do you have other equipment plugged in and turned on at the same time? Has it only started humming since you brought it into the practice room?

It could be a short somewhere but it is more likely that an earth lead has come loose somewhere. Try unplugging everything and then plug it all in and power up piece by piece. If you still get the hum with just the combo plugged in check the earth lead in the plug, the socket and any extensions you have connected. If you are comfortable opening it up you could try looking inside to see if any earth leads are loose.

Does the amp have a ground lift switch? If so try toggling it.

If the hum is not present with just the combo plugged in just started powering up stuff one by one. Do the same checks with each new device.

Be very careful.[/quote]

Thanks, I have used this in the room before, after I bought it. I did try it in the same socket as before and the buzz was there this time. I pretty sure something has happened in the amp and that the power supply is ok, I will check the earth in the plug though.

Thanks