Why become a member? ×

Proud pickup posts

NancyJohnson

[quote name='NancyJohnson' post='624267' date='Oct 12 2009, 07:05 PM']I have a pair of MIM Jazz pickups...the posts on the A & D strings stand pretty proud, can I tap them in a bit or will this cock things up? Never had this before.

Cheers
P[/quote]NO!!! Don't touch them. The reason they are proud is to follow the radius of the fretboard. Fender basses of yore, had a thing called "Fade" on the A and D strings, basically the response was quieter because the A and D were further away from the flat pole pieces of the pickup.
I think only DiMarzio have adjustable pole pieces.

if you warm up the bobbin with a hair dryer you can gently move the poles down

[size=5][color="#FF0000"]dont do this at home[/color][/size]...:)..no seriously i wouldnt do this but this is what was advised to me

the raised polepieces are for a reason....you are fortunate to have them on a jazz
a precision doesnt need them
i have a raised A on my 51P

its all in the design and compensation for the fretboard radius...bridges are made to compensate for this as well

it plays ok..just stop worrying about it...the pups with the level poles are at a disadvantage regarding setting pup height

Edited by mrcrow

[quote name='Leftbass' post='624288' date='Oct 12 2009, 07:23 PM']I recently got a MIM jazz and because of that set up I decided to change the PUs completely. I put in some Seymour Duncans. Wow what a difference. I'm sorry but I don't know if you can move the pole pieces[/quote]
nice avatar did you get that from mine ........lefties rule :)