Why become a member? ×

Suppliers for Canare or Mogami cable

martindupras

I'm revamping my pedalboard about a new GigRig Pro-14 switching system (just ordered -- not in my possession yet.)

I want to make good quality patch leads to and from the effects pedals. I don't want to use George L's, I don't want to buy the Core X2 system or pre-made patch leads.

I've been trying to find a UK supplier who stocks one of the following:

- Canare GS-6
- Canare GS-4
- Mogami 2524

but I can't find one. I've tried RS, Studio Spares, Canford, etc.

Short of importing from the US, does anyone have a recommendation of a likely supplier in the UK, or Europe?

On the other hand, if anyone knows of similar quality cable that they have experience using to connect pedals, I'd like to know. (And no: the lead between your bass and the first effect doesn't count, nor does the one that goes to your amp.)

Many thanks,

- martin

I use and recommend highly Chord Company Cream cables. They make short high quality link cables as well as longer guitar to amp cables.

Chord are a quality cable manufacture who design and build very high quality HI-FI cables. There head designer is also a bass player and has designed, with no compromise, a fantastic cable that out preforms any cable I have tried.

They are not cheap but your are getting the very best.

Hope this helps.

[quote name='martindupras' post='623288' date='Oct 11 2009, 06:19 PM']Thanks for the advice.

Unfortunately, that's not what I'm looking for. I'm not looking for already-made leads, I want to make my own.

I want to buy cable, by the metre (or foot.)

- martin[/quote]

I can supply VanDamme Classic Instrument Cable and Klotz HiFi Audio (used to be LaGrange) by the metre.

[quote name='martindupras' post='623275' date='Oct 11 2009, 06:05 PM']On the other hand, if anyone knows of similar quality cable that they have experience using to connect pedals, I'd like to know. (And no: the lead between your bass and the first effect doesn't count, nor does the one that goes to your amp.)[/quote]

Why not? It's the same stuff only longer...

The Van Damme cable is pretty good.

Why not? Because for a guitar lead flexibility is important, and the signal coming is very quiet and high impedance. Also with a guitar cable you can make it semi-balanced.

Between pedals, I'm more concerned with what happens when I bring in 5 or more pedals in and out of the chain, and on such short runs it's not worth making it semi-balanced.

I am familiar with the three cable products I mentioned, so I know exactly what to expect. I am considering the alternatives, but I have no first-hand experience of them, and therefore it's a leap of faith based only on recommendation. I'm trying to avoid spending a lot of time and money in wiring a fairly extensive pedalboard only to discover shortcomings later, or to discover that the tone suffers.

I haven't yet encountered any negative opinion of the Van Damme or Klotz cables.

- martin

[quote name='martindupras' post='623275' date='Oct 11 2009, 06:05 PM'](...)
I've been trying to find a UK supplier who stocks one of the following:

- Canare GS-6
- Canare GS-4
- Mogami 2524

but I can't find one. I've tried RS, Studio Spares, Canford, etc.

(...)[/quote]

If you manage to find them in the UK please let me know. I was looking for the same type of cables a while ago.

[quote name='Silent Fly' post='624501' date='Oct 12 2009, 10:27 PM']If you manage to find them in the UK please let me know. I was looking for the same type of cables a while ago.[/quote]

Why do you need these specific cables?