Why become a member? ×

Rose Pure Tone 'Nouveau Jazz' Review

pricechris10

The Nouveau Jazz ( by our very own Paul Rose ) is an eyecatching and unique design. ( my wife says it looks like a Roger Dean creation )

The ONLY control is volume, which is all that is needed in our opinion. The tone produced by the Nouveau Jazz is broad and bright, enough to satisfy on a number of levels. ( additional eq. etc. can be set at the amp/effects pedal if needed. )
I would use Happy Jack's observation of descibing the sound as a Jazz set at 80:20 ( bridge:neck ) as a fair likeness to the tone from the Nouveau Jazz.
The single passive humbucker does an exceptional job.

The lower horn hooks over your leg while seated, allowing a comfortable posture.

The upper horn and contour allows a female player with an "ample chest" handle the Nouveau Jazz in comfort while sitting down. ( A feature Paul assures me was not deliberately built into this bass. )

The light weight of the Nouveau Jazz and the balance of the bass when standing make it extremely comfortable to play. Not a hint of neck-dive or any other indication of a lack of balance.

All of the frets can be accessed with no obstructions and the neck and fret board are really well proportioned and easy to 'get around'.

The woods and the finish used are second to none.
Although some may think that an oiled finish on wood is not protective enough mechanically. In my opinion oiling and waxing are the best ways of showing the grain and properties of the surface of the wood.
Some finishes take the "wow" factor out of the wood in my eyes, other finishes just enhance things way too far.

NB: A quick buff with a dry microfibre cloth brings the polish up as good as new.

Although minimalistic, the Nouveau Jazz has the looks and a sound that stand out.

The Nouveau Jazz was bought as an early Christmas present for my wife. She is over the moon and so am I.
Here's a piccy...

Chris

Edited by pricechris10