Why become a member? ×

Calling Bass Lutherans

jmsjabb

[quote name='jmsjabb' post='603187' date='Sep 19 2009, 10:19 PM']I am thinking aloud really, but are there any Luthiers on here who would sell me a through neck, with basic head shape and fretted, for me to work with?[/quote]

:)

i thought that was a religious request...i am now anglican having spent years in the charismatic/pentacostal music pool

ahem...

i would think jon shuker would be a good start
so long as the machinery is oiled...what would be the problem
hell he might even sell you one of his logs
see the woodshed on his site

Assuming you're into glueing up, body shaping, neck carving, routing for electronics and suchlike, exactly what part of the process are you unwilling to do? Gluing up a few neck laminates and installing a modern (flat) truss rod is actually quite easy in comparison with what you'd have left to do yourself. If you don't like the idea of cutting fret slots for instance, you can buy ready slotted fingerboards from places like Touchstone Tonewoods and David Dyke - so long as you want a 34" scale length. I bought the wood for a 3 piece thru neck from David Dyke and he sawed it up for me there and then, let me choose the nicest figure and even marked out what way round they needed to be for maximum strength.

Bear in mind a fretted 'rough' neck will still have to be carved, smoothed, finished, have the frets levelled, re-crowned and polished. Then you have to set it up.

I'm sure there are a few luthiers out there who'd gladly take your hard earned for this, but I do think you're paying someone to do the easy bit.

[quote name='jmsjabb' post='607119' date='Sep 23 2009, 10:22 PM']I suppose I find the neck part the more precise bit. Mess that up and you have a problem.
My idea is a 50 / 50 split maple Walnut body and my aloud thinking has me no wondering about a bolt on neck. Still mulling things in my head[/quote]
Carved bolt on necks with a paddle head (just a square, blank headstock you cut your own design from) are quite easy to get hold of (Warmoth do them). I can understand why you'd prefer a thru neck though - I feel the same way about Gibson style set necks, there's just something about them. Maybe a guitar making course is in the offing.... :)

BTW, Melvyn Hiscock makes a thru neck bass in his book 'Make your own electric guitar'. It's probably worth a look even if you only plan to do bits and pieces of the build.