Why become a member? ×

Really cool Drum and Bass subby synthy sound

AdamWoodBass

So I was on a really random gig tonight at a campus bar in Liverpool. It was me, a guitarist and a singer and we were playing some unplugged stuff. We decided to do With or Without You by U2 and with it being unplugged I decided not to go for the normal bassline but instead play a kind of dotted crotchet/triplet type thing and try to simulate a double bass. So I was playing quite softly with my thumb resting on the end of the neck plucking the strings just before the neck pickup as I usually do when I'm trying to get this kind of sound except tonight was different. Normally I turn the rear pickup off to get that dull mellow p bass sound but tonight I forgot for some reason and left it with the bridge pickup soloed. The result was this really cool subby almost square wave kind of sound. I was using my Yamaha tonight so I'm gonna try it on my jazz tomorrow and see if it works for any bass with a Jazz pickup in the bridge. I'll also try running it through pod farm with a sub octaver, chorus and distortion and see what happens.

I'll report back with my findings! Hopefully it wasn't just by fluke because of the room or the amp settings and I can actually recreate the sound! If I can I'll record some samples and post them on here.

Cheers

Adam