Why become a member? ×

Big problem rack mounting a Trace Elliot Series 6 GP12

StevieD_FenderP2009

Hi there
I've attached a picture of the side of my Series 6 Trace Elliot GP12 head after i took it out of the wooden casing as i'm going to be rack mounting it
Thing is, i then looked at the side to see where i would attach rack ears to and it doesn't look like i can.
Reason for this is, i looked at the official Trace Elliot rack ears on the British Audio Service website and it says they are for "Series 6" but theyre only a L shape bracket

I've attached pictures of both the rack ears and the head unit from the side

If you have any info, let me know. im really stuck and quite f*cked off right now with this

Cheers

[quote name='StevieD_FenderP2009' post='601840' date='Sep 17 2009, 11:11 PM']Hi there
I've attached a picture of the side of my Series 6 Trace Elliot GP12 head after i took it out of the wooden casing as i'm going to be rack mounting it
Thing is, i then looked at the side to see where i would attach rack ears to and it doesn't look like i can.
Reason for this is, i looked at the official Trace Elliot rack ears on the British Audio Service website and it says they are for "Series 6" but theyre only a L shape bracket

I've attached pictures of both the rack ears and the head unit from the side

If you have any info, let me know. im really stuck and quite f*cked off right now with this

Cheers

[/quote]
What you show in the picture is a trough which needs a sleeve to have any structural strength.

The only way you could rack mount it would be to make it into a box by adding the top and sides, and then add the ears to the sides. The effort needed to bend sheet metal to fit, and bend flanges on each edge, and drill your existing amp chassis to screw through to the flanges - don't go there.

Sorry that is not the answer you were looking for.

I've never seen one of these heads up close, so have no idea of the actual dimensions involved, but here are my thoughts based on your pix.

1: Even if the rack ears could be attached to the amp chassis, leaving that lot exposed with no properly fitting cover, even though it would in a rack is super dangerous!
2: My next thought is that maybe the head is supposed to stay in the wooden case, screw the rack ears to the case, and then that case goes in the rack. This obviously depends on how big it is! However, the bolts supplied with the rack ears are just that: bolts, not self- tapping screws, so are designed to go into a pre existing threaded hole. Are there any threaded fixings buried under the carpet covering on the case?

I think the real answer though is that there must be several versions of the series 6 (or something like that), and this isn't one of the ones that can be rack mounted. There is every possibility that I'm wrong, and someone with more Trace knowledge will help you, but it doesn't look hopeful.

Thanks for the help guys
I'm a tad handy at metalwork so ive decided to build a stainless steel case for it and attach the rack ears to that
Also, my uncles a professional metal-worker so he'll help me with it.
I'll make some rack ears at the same time for it as well. either that or try the BAS ones out
Cheers anyways guys

Replies 2 and 3 just about cover it I think. I've not seen a Series 6 like yours and didn't know that TE had produced some units that were fitted into the head sleeve without an outer, steel case (I'm quite shocked by this to be honest). This may sound stupid, but you've not removed the unit and left it's steel top and sides inside the wooden sleeve by any chance?

I think your only solution now - if you really must rack the unit - is to build your own sleeve. This won't be easy, but if you have the expertise, then you might as well go for it (and good luck).

I had the same problem with my TE head.

I got one of these 19" rack shelves off the bay. I turned it upside down and put it ontop of the amp chassis. I then drilled holes in the shelf to line up with the threaded holes on the TE chassis. I then bolted the shelf to the top of the chassis.

worked great.

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/19-SUPPORT-TRAY-RACK-SHELF-1U-FLIGHT-CASE-DJ-DISCO_W0QQitemZ370261114322QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_3?hash=item5635483dd2&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/19-SUPPORT-TRAY-RACK...id=p3286.c0.m14[/url]

The amp then mounts into the rack perfectly

Edited by neilb

[quote name='neilb' post='602040' date='Sep 18 2009, 10:38 AM']I had the same problem with my TE head.

I got one of these 19" rack shelves off the bay. I turned it upside down and put it ontop of the amp chassis. I then drilled holes in the shelf to line up with the threaded holes on the TE chassis. I then bolted the shelf to the top of the chassis.

worked great.

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/19-SUPPORT-TRAY-RACK-SHELF-1U-FLIGHT-CASE-DJ-DISCO_W0QQitemZ370261114322QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_3?hash=item5635483dd2&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/19-SUPPORT-TRAY-RACK...id=p3286.c0.m14[/url]

[/quote]
That's neat - I thought of the shelf unit, but did not think to use it upside down. I think you would also have to make sure that the sides of the shelf you chose stopped you getting your fingers on any live parts.

[quote name='neilb' post='602040' date='Sep 18 2009, 10:38 AM']I had the same problem with my TE head.

worked great.

[/quote]

Would it be gay if i said i loved you?
You have just saved me so much time, effort, money, swearing, blood, sweat, broken amps....
You are a legend!
Thanks so much, ive just bought one of the 1u ones.
Do you think the 2u one would of been better though
Hope i havent just made a big mistake with it haha

Also, How bloody heavy is the heat sinc in trace elliots!
Christ!

I dismantled the whole head to give it a routine maintenance (as it didnt look like it had had one since it was made in 1990) and nearly gave myself a hernia on the heat sinc!

Also, in reply to Lozbass's statement, i did actually sit there and check i hadnt left a metal sleeve on the inside of the wooden case =P so it wasnt a silly question, but no, there wasn't a case in there. it's really wierd that Trace did that. it must of been one of the earliest GP12 Series 6 models or something...
I don't know

Cheers guys, everyone on here has helped me out so much and when i get some more money, i'll be donating to the website

• 2 weeks later...