Why become a member? ×

Musicman SUB, Stingray and Sterling.

Tait

I think that this link is really missing here: [url="http://myweb.ecomplanet.com/TOWN8019/"]http://myweb.ecomplanet.com/TOWN8019/[/url]

Every detail, excellent source for dating instruments and checking if ebay stuff is fake.

A picture gallery that my server should not allow to get through to my PC screen... :)

Andy

• 6 months later...

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='64170' date='Sep 22 2007, 08:22 PM']Here goes. Hope I get it right...

[b]Stingray 4[/b]
Available with 2 or 3 band Eq. No coil switching.

[b]Stingray 5[/b]
All have 3 band Eq. Coil switching for series, parallel and single coil operation.

[b]Sterling[/b]
Dinkier body than the 'Ray 4. 3 Band Eq. controls are mounted from rear, not on the scratchplate (as Ray5) or control plate (as Ray 4)
3 band Eq. Coil switching as per Ray 5

[b]S.U.B.[/b]
"Sports utility bass"
As previously mentioned, a cut-price variant, disguising cheaper cuts of wood with solid finishes. Painted finish on necks. Same hardware as more expensive models, so the potential's there.
All 2 band Eq (IIRC) No coil switching, which some prefer.

[b]Cutlass[/b]
Not currently produced. Simply a Stingray 4 with a Graphite Neck. May crop up second hand

[b]Sabre[/b]
Old-school 2 pick-up variant of Ray 4 (HH/HH) Quite rare. No longer in production

[b]Newer additions[/b]
Most Stingray models now available with other pick-up configurations to rival the Bongo (but not the 4 band Eq!)
Piezo Bridges also an option.

[b]General notes[/b]
Bodies mainly from Ash (trans finishes) Alder or Poplar (solid finishes)
Status make Graphite necks of you want your own "home-brew" Cutlass. (which isn't a million miles from a Modulus Flea sig when all's said and done!)
The General consensus is that the 2-Band eq Ray 4 epitomises the "Stingray Sound". The 3 Band isn't quite the same.
I've liked all the Sterlings I've played. They feel more manoeuverable due to their reduced bulk.
I own a 1990 Poplar bodied Fretless 5 (unlined). It's a super instrument.[/quote]

Its quit interesting that you say the 2-Band eq Ray 4 epitomises the "Stingray Sound". The 3 Band isn't quite the same. I had a 3 band eq Stingray and I was never happy with the sound. It seemed to thin and twangy for me. I wanted something with some drive and balls and it never gave me it. It had a superb sound and the nicest bass I played but the sound was to weak. I wonder if the 2 band eq would had been fatter.

Only thing I think this thread missed is the options you can have on the rays'/stirlings/bongos,
I dont know anything about Stirlings apart from the neck shape, body shape, crome thing missing around knobs, but with the Ray and Bongo , they both come in H, HH, HS.
Swaping my Fretless Jazz for an OLP ray 5HH, if I can get on with the double hum, gonna find me a Bongo 5HH, Propper GAS for a Bongo but ill have to save up cause im [i]never[/i] getting rid of my 3eq 'ray. Although I really would love a ray with matching headstock in that glitter paint with the diffrent bridge, bahh forgot what they call them. someone mentioned that option in the thead somewhere