Why become a member? ×

Rickenbacker 4003 - 2009 in Mapleglow

alanbass1

So the story is that I have always fancied a Rick because I started playing bass in 1974 and my idol at the time was Chris Squire. I never got round to picking one up until a few months ago when I popped into Peter Cookes Guitar World and they had just taken delivery of 8 4003's, 4 Black and 4 Mapleglow. I played each one as they unpacked them and there were two that stood out from the pack (one of each colour). Prefering the look of Mapleglow I ended up with the one you see here.

It's been my intention to get to use the Rick live, but as yet I haven't played it since bringing it home from the shop - even at home! Not a problem as I would have got round to it sooner or later until......I just did a trade with the Spector NS5XL Redwood that I picked up from Molan. Although an excellent bass in every way I just couldn't get to grips with 5 strings. So I put it up on the forum and traded it for a 4001 Chris Squire (thanks Peter), hence the reason that my totally immaculate, and as new, 4003 see's itself on this very forum.

Rickenbackers aren't for everyone, but if you do fancy one this is a particularly nice one. 2009 model with the push pull vintage setting and full width inlays - and probably as untouched as you will get save picking one up direct from factory. I'm still on the look out for a real nice Custom Shop passive Jazz bass with rosewood 'board (preferably Brazilian), so if anyone has something they are looking to trade drop me a line. The other thing I would consider in a trade is a Bergantino IP112ER active cab (must be immaculate).

Edited by alanbass1