Why become a member? ×

Gk help please

nig

Hi guys, has anyone a lead on where to get a replacement for my 8 ohm 12" gk neo, I usually use 2 1x12s with my RB 1001 but last nights gig was real tight on space so I used 1 cab and 10 mins from the end, smoke and then a frozen voice coil. boo hoo, so Ive mailed gk, checked out thomanns site but a uk speaker supplier would be cool, or maybe someone elses 300w 8 ohm 12" neo, thanks all.

[quote name='nig' post='597390' date='Sep 13 2009, 09:58 AM']Hi guys, has anyone a lead on where to get a replacement for my 8 ohm 12" gk neo, I usually use 2 1x12s with my RB 1001 but last nights gig was real tight on space so I used 1 cab and 10 mins from the end, smoke and then a frozen voice coil. boo hoo, so Ive mailed gk, checked out thomanns site but a uk speaker supplier would be cool, or maybe someone elses 300w 8 ohm 12" neo, thanks all.[/quote]
You have to take the old driver out and identify exactly what it is in order to replace it. 300w 8ohm 12" is not sufficient information.

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' post='597396' date='Sep 13 2009, 03:04 PM']You have to take the old driver out and identify exactly what it is in order to replace it. 300w 8ohm 12" is not sufficient information.[/quote]
I took it out last night when I got in, its sitting on the table, it has no info on it apart from a printed s/n on the cone, so what more info could there be ??? As far as I go back (30 years) the only info you ever needed was impedance and wattage and of course the hz frequencie for a bass speaker. please tell me more???
regards, Nig.

Well, no reply to an e mail to parts at gallien krueger, thomann got back to me asking for s/n on speaker and a bit of waffle etc, but its an oem factory unit with no info on it.
I needed to order a speaker on monday to get it away on tuesday to come by wednesday for a thursday gig. I plumped for a celestion bn12 300x 300w 8 ohm neo, it has a frequency from 40 hz to 3000 hz. they do an S but there arnt any until a pallet load is required then made and shipped from china, the company was lean in ipswich and did a first rate job. Put it in, gigged it last night and well, no probs, sounded perfectly acceptable too. :)

[quote name='nig' post='602538' date='Sep 18 2009, 08:53 PM']Well, no reply to an e mail to parts at gallien krueger, thomann got back to me asking for s/n on speaker and a bit of waffle etc, but its an oem factory unit with no info on it.
I needed to order a speaker on monday to get it away on tuesday to come by wednesday for a thursday gig. I plumped for a celestion bn12 300x 300w 8 ohm neo, it has a frequency from 40 hz to 3000 hz. they do an S but there arnt any until a pallet load is required then made and shipped from china, the company was lean in ipswich and did a first rate job. Put it in, gigged it last night and well, no probs, sounded perfectly acceptable too. :)[/quote]

Im glad! The general consensus is that mixing drivers, weather its mixing sizes or mixing brands can lead to unpredictable results, Its very possible you'll lose some off axis response (No, im not entirely sure what that means either!) but at the end of the day, if it sounds good to you, nice one!

[quote name='MythSte' post='602593' date='Sep 18 2009, 10:40 PM']Im glad! The general consensus is that mixing drivers, weather its mixing sizes or mixing brands can lead to unpredictable results, Its very possible you'll lose some off axis response (No, im not entirely sure what that means either!) but at the end of the day, if it sounds good to you, nice one![/quote]

LOL, im going to google 'off axis response' cheers m8. btw, when I worked in a music shop we took in 2nd hand 4 x 12's and when opening them up saw some real mis-matches and real horrors that sounded great !

[quote name='nig' post='602708' date='Sep 19 2009, 08:39 AM']LOL, im going to google 'off axis response' cheers m8. btw, when I worked in a music shop we took in 2nd hand 4 x 12's and when opening them up saw some real mis-matches and real horrors that sounded great ![/quote]

Similar story - The studio we're using at the moment in liverpool has one of Deep Purples Marshall 4x12's, Inside are four completly different speakers but it just sounds so godly! Apparently its because they all break up at slightly different times so they do loads of different tones depending on how hard you push them. That may well be BS but its a nice idea!

This is becoming a side thread, weird you say what you do as some cabs we had in the 80's were whitesnakes 4 x 12s, I think it was mickey moody and Bernie Marsden at the time stencilled on them, we opened them up and there were fanes, celestions, wrong ohmage etc..sounded the tits....must have had some magic dust sprinkeled on them.

[quote name='nig' post='597487' date='Sep 13 2009, 11:50 AM']As far as I go back (30 years) the only info you ever needed was impedance and wattage and of course the hz frequencie for a bass speaker. please tell me more???
regards, Nig.[/quote]Here's a short list: [url="http://www.eminence.com/resources/data.asp"]http://www.eminence.com/resources/data.asp[/url]

Cheers for that Bill, much appreciated, its now on my favourites, a good little read as well, In the interim, I did phone a mate before my purchase of a replacement driver, bearing in mind i couldnt get a gk oem unit, shame on them...He is the design engineer for riga research, the hi fi company, also made and designed roost amps and three g mixers and power amps in the 80's and 90's, his attitude was that it would be fine, so if its good enough for him its truely good enough for me, the amp shouldnt fry, there arnt any hi fi heads listening to me at gigs with imperfect acoustics and my rig breathes again. :)

[quote name='sub6' post='603599' date='Sep 20 2009, 02:47 PM']I had a similar prob with my rb1001, it fried two gs112's at exactly the same time, last two songs of first set.[/quote]
Now that was an expensive end to your evening, what do you use now ?