Why become a member? ×

My Grandad's basses...

theosd

[quote name='Voodoosnake' post='70102' date='Oct 5 2007, 06:32 PM']Lovely story. My grandad is miserable old git and insists that he is leaving me his musical armoury. He plays the 'kin accordian!!!!!!!!!! I'll be up to my boxxocks in the things.

Wanna trade Grandads?

Apart from their choice of instrument they seem quite similar. I'll chuck in a set of strings for that nice MM of yours :huh:
If your ever lookin for an accordian...................................[/quote]

ha ha actually some accordions are worth a packet, easily as much as a classic bass ..
You should be able to buy quite a few with the proceeds, and I'm sure he'd rather you used the legacy to actually make music .. yes, of course he would :)

What's the difference between a melodeon and an accordion?
The accordion will burn for longer ...
:huh:

Edited by OldGit

[quote name='OldGit' post='70136' date='Oct 5 2007, 08:16 PM']ha ha actually some accordions are worth a packet, easily as much as a classic bass ..
You should be able to buy quite a few with the proceeds, and I'm sure he'd rather you used the legacy to actually make music .. yes, of course he would :)

What's the difference between a melodeon and an accordion?
The accordion will burn for longer ...
:huh:[/quote]

LOL, like the punchline.

Well, I'll be honest, he's already given me one to try (hes a softy really)and its a tough instrument to grasp, maximum respect to all players of the awkwardest of (wind??) instruments. Most certainly aint my thing.

Hadnt thought there may be a market for them, may even be enough to buy the Triple Omega purple heart Alembic ive had my eye on!!

Who knows????

• 1 month later...

[quote name='beerdragon' post='68881' date='Oct 2 2007, 11:15 PM']Can you give us some background on your Grandad. who did he play for, orchestra, pop group. Aston Villa. :) , sounds as if there's a good story there.[/quote]

He's a Jazzer, and has played with loads of names I forget, notably though Stephanne Grapelli.

I'll try and get some better pictures in due course, I got to play both of them the other night in front of him - first time I had! He didn't say anything though, just talked about which I preferred out of the two - I preferred the Precision, an absolute dream to play. And the tone! Jesus christ, why can't they make them like they used to?? He also told me they are actually both '63s. Just can never get to grips with jazzes, I think my fingers are just too oversized for their petite necks!

[quote name='Voodoosnake' post='70140' date='Oct 5 2007, 07:34 PM']Hadnt thought there may be a market for them, may even be enough to buy the Triple Omega purple heart Alembic ive had my eye on!![/quote]

Off topic, sorry

Oh yes there's a market for them have a look through eBay
Eg
Anglo concertina sold for £1100 Ebay Item number: 320176490510

couple of those and your Alembic may be a reality ....
:)