Why become a member? ×

crackling?!...HELP!

paulbass

i hope you could shed some light on this problem... i have a trace elliot 1210 combo its 2 years old and when in use it has developed a crackling noise when nothing is being played and its getting worse.i dont notice it when i'm playing but it sounds bad when i stop. i know that the compression built in these amps can get noisy and i'm pretty sure its not that. i dont seem to have any dodgy pots when i turn them and i've change all the leads but its still there.when i put the amp in mute mode it does stop.i dont use the valve on it and i keep it in a dry enviroment and dont abuse it so i'm a bit baffled.....i would be most grateful for any advice many thanks, paul

[quote name='paulbass' post='594413' date='Sep 10 2009, 12:12 AM']i hope you could shed some light on this problem... i have a trace elliot 1210 combo its 2 years old and when in use it has developed a crackling noise when nothing is being played and its getting worse.i dont notice it when i'm playing but it sounds bad when i stop. i know that the compression built in these amps can get noisy and i'm pretty sure its not that. i dont seem to have any dodgy pots when i turn them and i've change all the leads but its still there.when i put the amp in mute mode it does stop.i dont use the valve on it and i keep it in a dry enviroment and dont abuse it so i'm a bit baffled.....i would be most grateful for any advice many thanks, paul[/quote]

Hi Paul,

It's impossible to fix this sort of fault via email but my first idea would be a dry joint, problem is it could be anywhere. Might be a pot but I would expect that you would hear a lot more crackling when you move it.

Does it do it when the bass is not pugged in?

Dave

thanks for getting back to me dave...it does stop when i unplug the guitar you got me wondering now maybe the guitar is at fault. i did replace this battery in it a couple of weeks ago i'll have a go at replacing it with another one and see what happens many thanks once again dave cheers!

[quote name='paulbass' post='595898' date='Sep 11 2009, 05:52 PM']thanks for getting back to me dave...it does stop when i unplug the guitar you got me wondering now maybe the guitar is at fault. i did replace this battery in it a couple of weeks ago i'll have a go at replacing it with another one and see what happens many thanks once again dave cheers![/quote]

Might just be the cable?