Why become a member? ×

Fitting a Model 1 to a Squier VM Tele bass

Mr. Foxen

Yeah I was quite surprised when I saw how small the actual working parts of the model 1 were - especially after being used to the behemoth Gibson originals. Could you attach it to a new modded scratchplate? ie. make a scratchplate the same size, shape etc. but with a smaller hole to fit the model 1 gubbins and 4 holes with which you attach the pickup using short bolts and nuts. It seems simpler in my head than it sounds in writing....

Did it with some pieces of wood, ended up with no lower bridgeward screw, as that piece of wood got in the way of the wire. The poles are too narrow spaced, so it looks wrong, but sounds fine. Also have to shim the whole neck pocket as the poles touch the strings even when all the way down. Used dense card, but will score some veneer for it.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='597400' date='Sep 13 2009, 04:05 PM']The poles are too narrow spaced, so it looks wrong, but sounds fine.[/quote]
If it's any consolation my EB-0 came [i]new[/i] with the entire pickup 'offset' by nearly 4mm and that still sounds fine. It's probably a feature you wouldn't find on an Alembic but a little offset doesn't seem to do any harm. Has it made much difference to the sound?

[quote name='henry norton' post='598372' date='Sep 14 2009, 04:34 PM']If it's any consolation my EB-0 came [i]new[/i] with the entire pickup 'offset' by nearly 4mm and that still sounds fine. It's probably a feature you wouldn't find on an Alembic but a little offset doesn't seem to do any harm. Has it made much difference to the sound?[/quote]

Doesn't appear to make much, I but I don't do bends and such. Bit of narrowing at the bridge when I score something adjustable will sort it.

[quote name='henry norton' post='598560' date='Sep 14 2009, 07:24 PM']I meant does the Model 1 sound better than the original Squier pickup????[/quote]

Loads better, Squier one is definitely a mudbucker, this seems to have sensible output and loads more top and definition. Think this is going to stay as my siple single pickup bass.