Why become a member? ×

Moving from electric to Upright

supabock

If you have the space, don't need to practice quietly and don't mind lugging half a wardrobe around with you, then go straight for the best double bass you can afford (allowing spare cash for a set up, decent pickup and preamp). Yes, amplifying a double bass can be a pain due to the feedback issues and you'll never get the amped sound to faithfully reproduce the acoustic sound without spending an awful lot of money but the feeling of total immersion you get playing an organic, vibrating double bass is second to none which can never be achieved with an EUB, no matter how good it is.

What's your budget?

Hi and thanks for that, budget wise i would have that i am just at the stage of trying DB's out but i see that DB's go from a minimal amount to up, and up, and even further....Really i am not sure if spending £200 for example and trying to learn at a budget price on a second hand DB is a false economy when the reality is that a good DB could cost closer to about £1000.....then you go up from there (which i cant at this stage). Is old better than new or is it a case of try before you buy and if majority of the boxes are ticked, then thats what you go for.........???

I make a living playing a bass I paid around £200 for (B&H Excelsior). OK it's worth more (maybe £800?), but there are bargains to be found out there. I for one would rather have a second-hand bass in the £4-600 region than a new one for £1000. But then I guess I'm a more confident judge of what I'm looking at than you'll be at this stage, and I have an aversion to spotless shiny basses. What kind of stuff are you aiming to play on it?

Good point, i like the idea of an already played in bass that maybe has a bit of history and definitely some life and character. Maybe a lot to ask for at this stage. I love my jazz, Souls and Fusion, but really would like to be able to play all that i can on electric, but translated to DB.