Why become a member? ×

How to "run in" speakers?

witterth

I'm about to collect back some cabs that have lain dormant for years in a pub cellar, provided damp ( which is a distinct possibility ) hasn't ruined them :)
I ve heard new/havent been used in ages, speakers should be "run in " what does that mean no more than 56mph??
seriously what should I do?
they are 2x10 & 2x18 4ohm Trace elliot cabs (regular readers- "oh no not THEM AGAIN!! :rolleyes: )

[quote name='witterth' post='588938' date='Sep 3 2009, 06:21 PM']I'm about to collect back some cabs that have lain dormant for years in a pub cellar, provided damp ( which is a distinct possibility ) hasn't ruined them :)
I ve heard new/havent been used in ages, speakers should be "run in " what does that mean no more than 56mph??
seriously what should I do?
they are 2x10 & 2x18 4ohm Trace elliot cabs (regular readers- "oh no not THEM AGAIN!! :rolleyes: )[/quote]

I think I'd be inclined to open up the cabs and let them stand somewhere dry and well ventilated for a couple of days. Give them a good inspection to make sure there's no rot.

I don't know if the drivers would need breaking in again if they're already well used - some people do break in drivers by running a 30Hz signal through them at low power (enough to make cone movement visible) but NOT with the cabinet closed, i.e. do it as though they're in free air.

Once you're sure they're dry and intact it may just be a case of using them very carefully at first and gradually turning up the level over a few hours of playing.

[quote name='thinman' post='589012' date='Sep 3 2009, 07:25 PM']I think I'd be inclined to open up the cabs and let them stand somewhere dry and well ventilated for a couple of days. Give them a good inspection to make sure there's no rot.

I don't know if the drivers would need breaking in again if they're already well used - some people do break in drivers by running a 30Hz signal through them at low power (enough to make cone movement visible) but NOT with the cabinet closed, i.e. do it as though they're in free air.

Once you're sure they're dry and intact it may just be a case of using them very carefully at first and gradually turning up the level over a few hours of playing.[/quote]

all that...mainly i think get rid of all the effects of the old atmosphere
do you have a de humidifier..