Why become a member? ×

Bye Bye Blackbird

JPS

I'm trying to learn Bye Bye Blackbird, the Miles Davis version. I'm happy with most of it, however, I'm a bit confused by the first four chords in section B.

My real book lists them as:

Am7b5/E9/Eb9/D7(b9)

When I try to play along using these chords as the basis it just sounds awkward/wrong.

I was wondering therefore, if anyone has a better/different idea what the actual chords on the Miles Davis version are?

Thanks

JPS.

P.S It could just be my rubbish playing in fairness!

Which real book?

These are substitutions that Davis didn't use. I think it is in F as I recall (not 100% sure and am not at home). If you let us know which fake book you are working to, we may be able to help explain what's going on. I picked these up off the net. Your chords are a common variation but, rather than starting on an F7 and descending chromatically, they start on the third of the F7b9, the Am7b5. The Abdim7 in the 6th bar is a tritone substition for the more diatonic D7b9.

F --- l ----- l ----- l -----

F---- l Abdim7 l Gm7 l C7

Gm7 l ----- l ----- l C7

Gm7 l C7 l F l -----

F7 l ---- l Am7b5 l D7

Gm7 l Gm7 l Bbm Eb7 l Gm7 C7

F l ---- l Am7b5 l D7

Gm7 l C7 l F l -----

I think there is a good chart in the Chuck Sher Real Book.

Thanks Bilbo, knew you'd come up trumps! I'm using the New Real Book Volume Two by Chuck Sher. Hope that helps.

Can you recommend any other versions of Bye Bye Blackbird out of interest?

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='587602' date='Sep 2 2009, 03:57 PM']Which real book?

These are substitutions that Davis didn't use. I think it is in F as I recall (not 100% sure and am not at home). If you let us know which fake book you are working to, we may be able to help explain what's going on. I picked these up off the net. Your chords are a common variation but, rather than starting on an F7 and descending chromatically, they start on the third of the F7b9, the Am7b5. The Abdim7 in the 6th bar is a tritone substition for the more diatonic D7b9.

F --- l ----- l ----- l -----

F---- l Abdim7 l Gm7 l C7

Gm7 l ----- l ----- l C7

Gm7 l C7 l F l -----

F7 l ---- l Am7b5 l D7

Gm7 l Gm7 l Bbm Eb7 l Gm7 C7

F l ---- l Am7b5 l D7

Gm7 l C7 l F l -----

I think there is a good chart in the Chuck Sher Real Book.[/quote]

[quote name='JPS' post='587574' date='Sep 2 2009, 03:21 PM']I'm trying to learn Bye Bye Blackbird, the Miles Davis version. I'm happy with most of it, however, I'm a bit confused by the first four chords in section B.

My real book lists them as:

Am7b5/E9/Eb9/D7(b9)

When I try to play along using these chords as the basis it just sounds awkward/wrong.

I was wondering therefore, if anyone has a better/different idea what the actual chords on the Miles Davis version are?

Thanks

JPS.

P.S It could just be my rubbish playing in fairness![/quote]
Actually you have slightly miss-interpreted the chart. I have the Chuck Sher version in front of me. And section B gives 2 alternative sequences:
1. F9 /// | E9 /// | Eb9 /// | D7b9 /// (This one has the 1st 3 chords in brackets)

2. Am7b5 /// | //// | //// | D7b9 ///

Neither of these sequences work particularly well with the tune but are OK for soloing over.

The Major

[quote name='JPS' post='587685' date='Sep 2 2009, 04:53 PM']Can you recommend any other versions of Bye Bye Blackbird out of interest?[/quote]

There is a great version on Keith Jarrett's Miles Davis tribute cd 'Bye Bye Blackbird'. Coltrane did a version. Rickie Lee Jones did it, Joe Cocker, Ben Webster, Oscar Peterson. There are loads out there.

The trouble with fake books is that the chord name is sometimes too simplistic as the tendency is to go for a default chord shape where a specific voicing is required. You'll probably find that the chord is correctly name (most Sher charts are pretty good) but you need to find which voicing creates the texture you are looking for.

I wish I could give you a better answer but I am very busy at the moment and can't get to spend time with the charts and the original recording. I will try to get to it when I can but can't promise.