Why become a member? ×

Help...london gigs Mon 28th...

bassjamm

Hi all,

Just wondered...i'm going to be down in London this bank holiday Monday (28th May) and i'm looking for a gig to go to with a few friends, probably jazz/funk/soul sort of thing...

Can anyone reccommend any bands that are playing on Monday, or any good venues worth contacting to see what's on?

I'd like to check out the Mingus big band at Ronnie Scotts, but £36 a pop is a little too much :)

Thanks in advance...
Jamie

[quote name='bassjamm' post='4861' date='May 23 2007, 01:23 AM']Hi all,

Just wondered...i'm going to be down in London this bank holiday Monday (28th May) and i'm looking for a gig to go to with a few friends, probably jazz/funk/soul sort of thing...

Can anyone reccommend any bands that are playing on Monday, or any good venues worth contacting to see what's on?

I'd like to check out the Mingus big band at Ronnie Scotts, but £36 a pop is a little too much :)

Thanks in advance...
Jamie[/quote]

Blatant Plug Warning: Check out Foolish Earthlings on 31st May at Ginglik, Shepherd's Bush - funk/soul/rock band (mine). 1 free drink on me if you come down and introduce yourself. Same offer applies to all members of the basschat community at any of my gigs.

Otherwise, I've heard there's a funk jam session at The Bedford in Balham most Monday nights. I don't know if it's good or crap though - never been.

Not meaning to step on The Funk's toes here, but Time Out has just landed on my doormat.

Gaga Four + James Stelling Quartet + E.R.Q. feat Big G + the Soulquarians - Jazz Soldiers at Notting Hill Arts Club (£5, free before 8pm).
[i]Musician run night of funky jazz and soul, featuring members of Soweto Kinch's band.[/i]

Ian Shaw and Friends - 606 Club, SW10. (8.30pm, £8)
[i]Our fave British male jazz singer is always at his best in the intimate environs of the 606 or Vortex, so expect brilliant, seat-of-his-pants improv, soulful reconstructions of pop and jazz standards and lots of new material from his forthcoming, self-penned album, plus guests and a breathtaking Joni Mitchell cover.[/i]

John Williams/John Etheridge - Pizza Express Jazz Club, W1. (7.30pm, £20)
[i]Classy duo of virtuosic Etheridge and noted classical composer Williams. Expect jazz, classical, West African and Latin American music as heard on their album, 'Places Between'.[/i]

Pip Pyles Bash - Vortex Dalston, N16. (8pm, £8)
[i]Former band mates (joined here by fine drummer Mark Fletcher) pay tribute to the late drummer of Pyle, on eof the key members of the Canterbury scene.[/i]

Edited by Musky

Thanks for that guys!!

The Funk - I'll not be down there on the 31st mate, thanks for the invite though.

As for the gigs in Time Out...i spotted the 606 and Pizza express gigs, don't think either particularly appeal though, although the 606 is a wicked venue, saw Janek Gwizdala there last month...amazing! The night at the Notting Hill Arts club sounds quite cool though, has any heard any of the bands play, or been to the venue, if so, what are your thoughts?

Jamie

[quote name='bassjamm' post='5092' date='May 23 2007, 12:32 PM']Thanks for that guys!!

The Funk - I'll not be down there on the 31st mate, thanks for the invite though.

As for the gigs in Time Out...i spotted the 606 and Pizza express gigs, don't think either particularly appeal though, although the 606 is a wicked venue, saw Janek Gwizdala there last month...amazing! The night at the Notting Hill Arts club sounds quite cool though, has any heard any of the bands play, or been to the venue, if so, what are your thoughts?

Jamie[/quote]

Notting Hill Arts Club is wicked.

Get down early and blag one of the only two tables there. Free entry before 8, and if you manage to get one of the two tables there, there's a hot blonde waitress who offers table service throughout the evening... that's table service, not dancing.

I think my guitarist's friend is in the Soulquarians. Should be high quality stuff. And £0.00 is my kind of price tag.