Why become a member? ×

Ibanez AEB-10E - electronics problem

hooveoperator

Dear all,

The problem is that there is no response from E string when amplified.

I've tried cleaning the connections with switch cleaner and looking for loose connections but there's nothing obvious. The pickup itself looks to be buried in the bridge which means I can't get to it.

I'm looking to sell it in the near future and was wondering if the consensus would be to sell it as an acoustic only (naturally even the inbuilt tuner doesn't work for the E string) at a discount or to get it fixed professionally and then sell it...

Unfortunately, it is no longer under warranty. The fault was intermittent and so I didn't pick it up for quite a while as I was playing it acoustically for the most part.

Details of the bass can be found here: [url="http://www.ibanez.com/BassGuitars/model-AEB10EDVS"]http://www.ibanez.com/BassGuitars/model-AEB10EDVS[/url]

Any advice gratefully received.

Mike

As I said, I'm no expert - however, I read about something like this on another forum

Turns out that the bottom edge of the plastic/bone saddle wasn't totally flat and wasn't conducting the vibes of that string through to the piezo underneath.

The fix was to get a different saddle & sand it down (making sure it was parallel) to the right height.

I read another problem which was caused by a bit of scurf under the piezo.

I'd loosen the strings, lift up the saddle & have a gander.

G.

Well - no luck so far.

Had a gander under the saddle and the strip of plastic under the peizo pickup (which is just like a big copper wire) had a bit of crud under where the E string would be. Thought that might be the problem so replaced it with one of the replacement strips and... it didn't work. Tried the replacment bridge but no dice and then moving the peizo a bit, again no luck. The pickup is transmitting some sound from the E string but it's about a quarter of the volume of the other strings.

I'm contemplating removing the plastic sheath from the peizo but am a bit worried I might kill it altogether.

Help!

Mike