Why become a member? ×

Writing songs from scratch without a guitard

Jobiebass

Sorry if this is the wrong forum for it,

Im sick of getting together my mates and not acomplishing anything. my guitard usually sits there and plays something random and ill pick up the roots and create something round it and the drummer makes it up as he goes along. The guitard always asks me if ive wrote anything but I havent got the first clue where to start, ive always just got the roots from what he plays and created somethign that compliments the tune of the guitar. How would I go about doing it the other way around?
I create little dittys but it never seams "good enough" to put guitar to.
Take for eg if id write a bassline like I wanna be adored by stone roses where its the same throughout the song, he cant work with that. or even something simple like Stooges with I wanna be your dog with simple bass with a slight change for the chorus. its just not acceptable. hes a very tallented guitard and musician in general on a multiple of instuments so i dont want to 2nd guess him as I have no experiance of writing my own stuff from scratch. The only things we play is generally 4 chords over 4 bars, maybe twice, bit of a chorus n back into it. how would I have to structure it so I dont change chord in the 4 bars? just a simple loop if you get me.

Sorry, loads of questions, and I havent worded it well. If you could point me towards a book to read, things to learn etc id be more then greatful.

Sometimes i get ready to write songs/riffs/basslines/lyrics like get all prepared with pen, paper, scales also listened to some great music to get inspiration but i usally get nowhere like that

but i come up with the best stuff randomly like when you pick up the bass at 2am when you cant sleep or when your just doodiling with the bass

thats my opinion

:)

Some people can come up with something to put together with any idea you might have - others need you to write a part for them. That doesn't have much to do with level or talent but more to do with musical chemistry.

If your guitar needs you to write the guitar parts for him, then write them for him, even if it's as basic as telling him which chords to play. If you can come up with a nice little line for him to play as well, that's great.

Sounds to me like you have yet to grasp the basic concepts of music making ! But thats OK - we all had to start somewhere.
I would suggest you have a look at rslaing's excellent "Weekly Theory Lesson" series at the top of this forum. There is a lot to take in - you will need to take it slowly - try to understand each section fully before moving on - but you will slowly begin to piece it all together and then you can truly start to create your own music. As in any art form, once you know how your predecessors did it, or the theory behind it, you can move on and add your own slant to your chosen genre.

The Major