Why become a member? ×

Distortion/Fuzz/Overdrive pedal

Aussiephoenix

Hey people,

Im having a bit of trouble finding the right distortion (using the term loosely) for me.

I use active basses, so It has to work well with that, at the moment I have an Earthbound effects Supercollider and that's the kind of sound i'd want to have happening, but though it gets close, Im not able to dial in that exact sweetspot I've been searching for...

So you get an Idea, I've had the mxr m80 which I hated, I've had the Ibanez Phat Head which wasnt too bad, but didnt quite satisfy, I've tried the boss bass overdrive (yellow)

so what Im looking for is a deep fat fuzzy sound (maybe fuzz & octave?) that doesnt get lost in the mix, and you KNOW there's a bass and not a guitar behind that. know what I mean?

as for prices, Some of those boutique pedals have crazy prices, so I dont want to go to extremes, but I will pay a reasonable amount for a good pedal, so, can you guys give me some options?

[quote name='Silent Fly' post='578891' date='Aug 24 2009, 11:26 AM']Do you have any example of song/sound you like?

Why did you hate the mxr m80?[/quote]

hey, I'd say a good example would be Muse - Hysteria, but less drowned out.

I didnt like the M80 cause it sounded too trebbly. no matter how much I played with the preamp to help out the distortion section, I never really got that sound I was looking for. (I didnt get that pedal for its distortion but the preamp/di capabilities.

Back in the day I did use a Russian Big Muff, but I found it was too wild, and ate up my low end. still, there was something to that pedal that I really liked. I could never really kill its shortcommings.

For this reason, I was considering the Bass Big Muff, and I've also seen a few people on here recomending the Bad Monkey, so I might see if I can try one out.

[quote name='Aussiephoenix' post='578900' date='Aug 24 2009, 11:37 AM']hey, I'd say a good example would be Muse - Hysteria, but less drowned out.[/quote]
I may be wrong but I think the bass in Hysteria has at least 3 layers. Clean with bass boost, fuzz on the treble and overdrive on the entire signal.

[quote name='Aussiephoenix' post='578900' date='Aug 24 2009, 11:37 AM'](...) I've also seen a few people on here recomending the Bad Monkey, so I might see if I can try one out.[/quote]
+1
Great pedal.

Edited by Silent Fly

Check out the Fuzzhugger Algal Bloom or Great Wall.

[url="http://www.fuzzhugger.com/fhfx.html"]http://www.fuzzhugger.com/fhfx.html[/url].

Tom ships to the UK and is great to work with for custom touches.

He built me a Great Wall with a couple of extra custom features, and I supplied him with the “Berlyn” graphics.

Demo of mine here.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EzuzsUzCY8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EzuzsUzCY8[/url]

MM

Edited by Metal-Mariachi

Thanks for your posts people.

As it turns out, I got too frustrated the other night after spending about 2 hours playing around with the settings on the supercollider, and sold it.

Now I have 2 options:

a) Buy a new pedal without the chance of trying it out (there isnt much out here in terms of boutique , only boss & digitech type pedals)

:) Get one of the local DIYers (theres one in particular that seems very talented) to put me together a pedal.

Honestly, Im leaning towards option B.
My idea so far is a 2 circuit enclosure 1 would be a fuzz with blend and the other an octave down with blend also.
thing is... where can I find the diagrams for those real good Fuzzes? I was thinking "Pickle Pie B" good.