Why become a member? ×

Replacement horn for SWR Goliath III 4x10

Raph

I've been given an SWR 4x10 with some blown drivers - one of them being the horn - I tried the horn from my ampeg 4x10 in it (looks identical) and it works fine. So I'm wondering where I can get it as a spare, or if there's anything commonly available that would fit.

In another bass speaker that didn't originally have a horn I fitted an APT150 - works superbly but in the SWR there isn't space for the large rectangular horn. I could fit an APT80 in there (same driver) but I think the dispersion probably isn't as good, and the flare is a bit too small so I'd have to make up a plate for it to go on.

The best solution is if I can find the correct horn - any ideas?

PS - the flare is 110mm square, the hole the driver fits through is a 95mm circle.

Edited by Raph

Hey thanks for the reply! 25H273 - yes that's the one. The cab looks fairly old, it's a Goliath III and the horn looks the same as the one I had in a Goliath 2x10 I bought in 2004. Also the same as I have in an Ampeg 410HE I bought in about 1992!

I found a replacement at Thomann, and a couple of suppliers in the US - but knowing what happens when customs get hold of a package from the US, I'm not keen on that option, especially as Parcelforce add another £8 charge for what they call "handling".

What I might do is get a replacement diaphragm - e.g. [url="http://speaker-repairs.co.uk/shop/diaphragm/n30.html"]http://speaker-repairs.co.uk/shop/diaphragm/n30.html[/url] - unless someone tells me it's a risky thing to get into. I've done many speaker repairs, including the odd re-cone and re-foam, all successful I hasten to add, but never done a tweeter yet. It's £15 rather than about £40+post from Thomann.

[quote name='Raph' post='583120' date='Aug 28 2009, 12:38 AM']Got the replacement diaphragm as mentioned above for £15, fitting it is as easy as something unimaginably easy, and hey presto, working tweeter. :)

Thanks for the replies![/quote]

Glad to be able to help! The diaphragm replacements aren't too hard are they?!

Edited by EBS_freak