Why become a member? ×

FT: Overwater Perception Standard Deluxe

Bass Culture

I guess this a feeler to see what's out there but I'm sadly fronting up to the fact that, at 5' 4" and with relatively small hands to match, I'm in need of something that's more Jazz nut width than my lovely OW. When I walked into The Bass Merchant that Autumn day back in November little did I think would fall in love, but that I did. I took this thing of beauty off the wall, plugged in and that was that - sold. I'll get some of my own photos up but it's this one from the Gallery on the OW site:

[url="http://www.overwaterbasses.com/per00021.htm"]http://www.overwaterbasses.com/per00021.htm[/url]

The photos are better quality than I could manage, so I hope you'll forgive me.

Although the neck on this is extremely fast - it's really comfortable and shallow - a recent new band and more playing time have convinced me that, at 42mm or thereabouts, it's just a little too wide at the nut for my small hands. I'm really sad to move it on as tone-wise it's all I could want in a bass - it's fat, full and throaty all at the same time. Lean it towards the bridge pickup and it really cuts through too. I know there's a lot love on BC for Overwaters anyway, so most of you will already be well aware of their quality.

I managed to knock the good guys at The Bass Merchant down to £1,500 when I bought it. If this was a sale I'd be looking for £1,100, so I'm after trades of a similar value and a similar quality bass. As you'll have gathered, I'm looking for something with a narrower neck - more Jazz than Precision, or Sterling rather than Stingray, as it were. I'm not sure exactly what I'm after because, frankly, I'm moving it on quite reluctantly I'm not driven by an overwhelming desire to acquire a particular bass. I would like something similarly boutique or high end though, or maybe high quality 'stock' bass too. I'd prefer an active circuit - ideally 3 band - and I don't really do single coil pickups, so no Fenders. The only Warwick I ever took a shine was a Dolphin I played in The Bass Centre in Brum a (good) few years back. I'd consider a nice Sterling or Lakland too. But anyway, if there's any large-handed bassists who've got an OW with a narrower neck out there who were thinking something along the lines of 'I love this bass but I could use a bit more width down towards the nut'....this could be your lucky day.

Anyway, if anyone's got something they think I might be interested in let's be having you. Oh, it'll come with the Gator case it was sold with too, btw.

Just an additional proviso regarding any potential trades - I'm not a great fan of maple necks; I don't know why, one's never done anything to offend me. But there it is. That said, this lifelong prejudice might be compromised by a maple neck attached to an otherwise beautiful bass...