Why become a member? ×

new squier vmj mods?

steve

[quote name='steve' post='60952' date='Sep 15 2007, 07:58 PM']hello all

so i went into Soundcontrol in Salford yesterday to try out some squier vintage modified jazzers - I've been gassing for one for a while now - and walked out of the place with one. I'd phoned up in advance to see if they had any in stock and that I wanted to try one, and when I got there, there were three of them set out for me to try. After swapping between them for a bit I settled on one that had a two piece body and a fabulous grain in the maple neck. Pictures will follow.....

All three had a pretty nasty action in the shop, but after some tweaking and waiting last night, I've got the action on mine to quite a nice level,I still need to tweak the saddles again and the intonation but so far so good.

Anyway.... I have a few ideas for mods, and was hoping I could benefit from the experiences of other forumites to help guide me...

- I like the idea of going retro with the chrome pup covers, but how do they impact playing?

- How beneficial is a badassII, (which would, I believe, stop me being able to fit the bridge ashtray cover)?

- I'll probably replace the pups, anyone got any to sell?

- J-Retro, is it worth it on a (albeit wonderful) £200 bass

That's my thoughts for now, I'm really impressed with the stock bass, especially the maple neck (my first), but I'm wondering how far I can take it...

oh yeah, and Rob from Soundcontrol deserves a mention, he was a top chap, very helpful but not too pushy.[/quote]

In my opinion I think it will be well worth it to fit the J Retro Preamp or upgrade the pickups , the quality on the VMJ is very high and I would think that with a little modding you will be able to get the bass to sound just as good as a fender mia jazz bass (I know somebody's going to slate me for this, bring it on). A lot of people have actually said that they prefer the Squier VMJ to the mim fender jazz. I think with a Bad Ass 2 and a pickup upgrade you will have an absolute killer tone

[quote name='thewalruswaspaul' post='63538' date='Sep 21 2007, 12:46 PM']In my opinion I think it will be well worth it to fit the J Retro Preamp or upgrade the pickups , the quality on the VMJ is very high and I would think that with a little modding you will be able to get the bass to sound just as good as a fender mia jazz bass (I know somebody's going to slate me for this, bring it on). A lot of people have actually said that they prefer the Squier VMJ to the mim fender jazz. I think with a Bad Ass 2 and a pickup upgrade you will have an absolute killer tone[/quote]

Actually looking at your posts it looks like changing pickups might not be the solution for you. If they sound good to you as they are then shielding is probably the best, cheapest solution to the single coil hum

[quote name='thewalruswaspaul' post='63543' date='Sep 21 2007, 12:52 PM']Actually looking at your posts it looks like changing pickups might not be the solution for you. If they sound good to you as they are then shielding is probably the best, cheapest solution to the single coil hum[/quote]

Yeah , I'm definately going to shield all the cavities. Also I want upgrade the electrics and change the pot controls to blend / vol / tone,

and file down the nut,....

and try a badass,.....

and fit a neck pup cover.....