Why become a member? ×

Squire P Bass - Pick ups going - which way?

oligoon

Guys,

Hi - forgive me if this is a set of questions asked many times before!

Anyhow i've had a Squire P Bass copy for 5 years now (my first bass) and have been quite happy with it - but recently have had a problem with some resonance on the open A string, even when not plugged in to an amp.

After stripping the guitar down I found this was coming from one of the pick ups. The question is - is it worth fitting good quality new pick ups to a budget bass? Or should I get a better instrument? I did try a friends mexican Jazz and found the pick ups noisy but liked the way it played and the adjustability of sound - is the noise down to the pickups on these?

In some ways money is not a major issue as a good intsrument retains its value (at least to some extent). So should I go US Fender Jazz or maybe even a Sadowsky (metro - I don't have stoopid money). Should I go 5 string or will it annoy me too much?

Fot info I use an Ashdown ABM900 head and 1510 stack with Rotosound Monel Flatwound strings (45.65.85.105) on the P and play mainly with a plectrum. Material is rock based (ac/dc, greenday, metallica etc).

Sorry for the questions being quite open - but i'm just not sure which way to go.

oli

Edited by oligoon

£50 and a bit of soldering will get you a pretty decent bass, better than you had before.

However, if you want to buy a new bass, and have the money to do it, then buy a new bass. Sounds like you have GAS to me, and there is only one cure ( and that is probably only temporary )

Alternatively, do both, and have a spare.

I was in a pretty similar situation myself, I was going to upgrade my Squier, then joined this forum, and caught GAS. Ended up with a MIJ P, which I'm really pleased with. Sold the Squier to my nephew, but I wish I'd kept as backup.

[quote name='oligoon' post='552381' date='Jul 27 2009, 10:11 AM']Buzz,

ta for reply - better get my arse up to the big smoke (london) as decent music shops aren't plentiful in somerset![/quote]

how does the pickup resonate when not plugged in, do you think a set up would fix it

you anywhere near burnham on sea?

Edited by mrcrow

ta for replies:-

crow
the pick up resonates when the open A is played - sounds like there is something vibrating inside the pickup. i'm not near burnham - but near Yeovil - out in the sticks! although do go up the m5 fairly often - is there a good shop in burnham?

chris
whats GAS? Gear Aquisition Syndrome??? I certainly have that - the missus is doing her nut already!

[quote name='oligoon' post='552803' date='Jul 27 2009, 04:19 PM']ta for replies:-
crow
the pick up resonates when the open A is played - sounds like there is something vibrating inside the pickup. i'm not near burnham - but near Yeovil - out in the sticks! although do go up the m5 fairly often - is there a good shop in burnham?
chris
whats GAS? Gear Aquisition Syndrome??? I certainly have that - the missus is doing her nut already![/quote]

yes there is a good shop in burnham with a couple of musicians running it
i sold my bass via them when i lived there
the vibrations from your pup for just the A frequency are strange
can you take the pup out yourself....if you do your own restringing...and who doesnt then taking out the pups isnt a really hard job...its just 4 screws..no unsoldering...then you might see something in the hole the pup goes in to
it could be the wires vibrating etc
your pups should be sitting on foam rubber

yeovil is the centre of the universe man!!! all those helicopters

cheers
geof

crow,

what's the name of the burnham shop pls?

I agree the vibration is strange - I got the pickups out easily enough expecting to find something vibrating against them - but there wasn't. I did try prying the pickups open, but they seemed to be sealed with some sort of gunk so gave up.

GAS ftw!

Hi There,

if i were you i wouldn't consider a new one, decide on your budget and watch the for sale thread. There have been some lovely boutique bass's going through for around a grand. Not the same as new bass but you will get a lot more for your money. If looking for new rather than Fender i would look at Sandberg. Just as an illustration 5 string sandberg california JM new 1k second hand around 650, the bass should hold its value from there. I'm going second hand from now on, looking at selling a music man and sitting tight for a boutique in my price range, shuker, sei or sadowsky will be on my radar.

Good luck and happy hunting

Nathan

[quote name='oligoon' post='553238' date='Jul 27 2009, 09:34 PM']crow,
what's the name of the burnham shop pls?
I agree the vibration is strange - I got the pickups out easily enough expecting to find something vibrating against them - but there wasn't. I did try prying the pickups open, but they seemed to be sealed with some sort of gunk so gave up.
GAS ftw![/quote]

[url="http://www.gcmusic.co.uk/"]GC music[/url]

could it be your truss rod...is it tight