Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Playing on grass!

JPS

The surface, rather than the drug obviously! My band have got a gig in a marquee tomorrow night and I've just been sent a text asking if we will be happy to set up and play on the grass in the marquee. Instinctively it sounds like a bad idea to me i.e. not very safe or stable etc.

Am I right, or should it be OK? Any advice/experiences more than welcome.

Cheers

JPS

Bad idea
It's not been a dry summer so it will be damp and soft...

Moisture will seep up into your gear ..
If you have a drummer it will be very unstable and he or she will sink in
Your PA tripod may sink in and fall over ..

I'd request a flat surface to play on.
Most marquee companies will supply a floor.

Also I am sure your Public liability Insurance will have something to say about it - like they won't cover anyone who falls and breaks a leg ..

We had a gig in a marquee a month ago. A stage was provided. The 'stage' was only just big enough to get the drums and the guitar head (not cab) on. We got the organisers to find some wooden pallets that we put the giuitar cabs and my bass rig on. They also found some tarpaulin that we put out pedals/mikestands etc on. It worked fine for us; we weren't happy with having our cabs at ground level on grass.

I've done it with just tarp down on top of the grass and a piece of carpet over the tarp for the drum kit but it does feel a bit strange even on reasonably flat ground. The marquee was so small we couldn't really move around much in it anyway!