Why become a member? ×

Rockinbetter Wiring completed

teaser360

just got myself a rockinbetter, the wiring is a bit of a mess, the tone variations are crap, going to re-wire using cts 250k and 500k pots and a new 3 way switch as that is a bit dicky aswell. Might change the pickups at a later date, not sure which ones to go for but was probabally thing about emg or seymour duncan soap bars. Also got myself a hipshot bridge on the way from the states.

Edited by teaser360

[quote name='mrcrow' post='542387' date='Jul 16 2009, 04:32 PM']why not stick to the original 250k pots?
best of luck with a sensibly wired up two pup machine[/quote]

500k pots give 3dB greater gain than 250k and sound a bit brighter and are also more controllable for more subtle blending.

just following the diagram from joeys bass notes, and other rickenbacker diagrams, tone pots are 500k and volume pots are 250k, although ive rewired it the rickenbacker way, i still dont have much tone adjustment, so im pressuming the stock rockinbetter pups are s***

[quote name='Spartacus' post='542435' date='Jul 16 2009, 05:25 PM']500k pots give 3dB greater gain than 250k and sound a bit brighter and are also more controllable for more subtle blending.[/quote]

ricks fit 250 and so do fender
but i go along with the brighter idea...but do use 250 myself
i like a more traditional and mellow tone
cheers

[quote name='mrcrow' post='543579' date='Jul 17 2009, 08:48 PM']ricks fit 250 and so do fender
but i go along with the brighter idea...but do use 250 myself
i like a more traditional and mellow tone
cheers[/quote]
Ricks actually fit 330k pots as standard, but i have noticed that it depends on certain models, this one quoted is for the vintage tone circuit, ive never known rickenbacker to use 250k across the board, its always been 250k volume and 500k tone, this is 1979 onwards, before that i dont know, im sure someone on here could clarify it, i dont want to open a debate about it though, I could be wrong, At the end of the day this bass, isnt a rick, its my first attempt at customising the electrics to try and create a better sound and to repair the piss poor wiring from the korean factorys, I think ive made a half decent job using quality components, and to be truthfully honest sounds alot better than it did from the factory, all it needs now is some decent pups throwing in her. I dont want to upset people in the process, i would rather share my experience, if i had put this on a rick forum there would be millions of bricks coming through my computer monitor
thanks for all advice in advance
tony

I don't understand. Why would 500k pots give 3db more gain than 250's? At max gain the pots are zero resistance, ie: full volume. Now zero resistance on a 250k pot ought to be same as zero resistance on a 500k pot, or am I missinig something?
On the rick replicas I've put together I've gone for the normal pickup rule of thumb: single coil will get a 250k pot and numbucker will get a 500k to help balance the pickup tone better.

If you wanted to go for a 330k sweep you could always use a 500k pot and solder a couple of resistors (approx 485k each) onto the tabs as per this useful ready reckoner:
[url="http://www.diystompboxes.com/analogalchemy/emh/emh.html"]http://www.diystompboxes.com/analogalchemy/emh/emh.html[/url]

Edited by Al Heeley

[quote name='Al Heeley' post='543771' date='Jul 18 2009, 08:35 AM']I don't understand. Why would 500k pots give 3db more gain than 250's? At max gain the pots are zero resistance, ie: full volume. Now zero resistance on a 250k pot ought to be same as zero resistance on a 500k pot, or am I missinig something?[/quote]

If pickups sound muddy increasing the pot value will load the pickups less and avoid loss of top end. I shouldnt have used the word 'gain' because that implies its active, more accurate to say 250k pots are -3dB down in output due to increased loading effects.

Think about how a pot works. When its turned all the way down youre shunting the pickup output to ground. When its on full youre connecting the pickup hot directly to the output BUT that hot still has the full value of the pots resistance between the pickup output and ground. So the lower the resistance the more signal will bleed to earth.

Edited by Spartacus

[quote name='Al Heeley' post='543771' date='Jul 18 2009, 08:35 AM']I don't understand. Why would 500k pots give 3db more gain than 250's? At max gain the pots are zero resistance, ie: full volume. Now zero resistance on a 250k pot ought to be same as zero resistance on a 500k pot, or am I missinig something?
On the rick replicas I've put together I've gone for the normal pickup rule of thumb: single coil will get a 250k pot and numbucker will get a 500k to help balance the pickup tone better.

If you wanted to go for a 330k sweep you could always use a 500k pot and solder a couple of resistors (approx 485k each) onto the tabs as per this useful ready reckoner:
[url="http://www.diystompboxes.com/analogalchemy/emh/emh.html"]http://www.diystompboxes.com/analogalchemy/emh/emh.html[/url][/quote]
so the definition really is the pups, the rockinbetter has 2 toaster style pickups where a genuine rick is a toaster(neck) and humbucker(bridge), if i get the pick ups replaced the sound and tone will change again, im happy with the neck pup but the bridge pup sounds muddy, with both selected its not bad.

[quote name='Al Heeley' post='543771' date='Jul 18 2009, 08:35 AM']I don't understand. Why would 500k pots give 3db more gain than 250's...[/quote]

This should help explain it.

[url="http://www.stewmac.com/freeinfo/Electronics/Pots/w101-controlpots.html"]http://www.stewmac.com/freeinfo/Electronic...ontrolpots.html[/url]

[quote name='BOD2' post='543959' date='Jul 18 2009, 01:38 PM']This should help explain it.

[url="http://www.stewmac.com/freeinfo/Electronics/Pots/w101-controlpots.html"]http://www.stewmac.com/freeinfo/Electronic...ontrolpots.html[/url][/quote]

brilliant piece of logic...still why do manufacturers use 250 in the first place when 500 are available
one really wants to either be on or off surely
and what really bleeds to earth when you are on full volume...
my bass sizzles and hamonicizes on 250 pots
then we have the active 25k brigade...what happens there?

its a puzzlement

:) what did jaco and jamerson have fitted on their scrappy old mass produced basses

:rolleyes:

[quote name='teaser360' post='544322' date='Jul 18 2009, 09:10 PM']Well shes up and running and im happy playing around with it and i just hope the rest of the band like it. Ive just fitted my homemade pickguardian, total cost £3.80 and a bit of time[/quote]

very creditable work...i did something similar when i fitted s-d humbucker replacements to my 4003..wired them series in themselves...
you did a good job on the bridge pup masking
10+
thought about doing anything with the bridge which for me was a badass II swapout
cheers teaser360

[quote name='mrcrow' post='544726' date='Jul 19 2009, 03:32 PM']very creditable work...i did something similar when i fitted s-d humbucker replacements to my 4003..wired them series in themselves...
you did a good job on the bridge pup masking
10+
thought about doing anything with the bridge which for me was a badass II swapout
cheers teaser360[/quote]
hipshot bridge on its way, should be here next week, but not going to put it on just yet as we have a busy couple of months giging

[quote name='teaser360' post='545036' date='Jul 19 2009, 11:42 PM']hipshot bridge on its way, should be here next week, but not going to put it on just yet as we have a busy couple of months giging[/quote]

well i put a badass II on mine and did a little masking piece in white splt material as you have done
it made setting up a whole lot easier and more accurate

the rick bridge is a blacksmiths dream

wish i still had it though with ALL its drawbacks and ugliness

:)

Edited by mrcrow