Why become a member? ×

It's Very Important To Get Some Lessons

I have been playing DB for a couple of years now,following many years of EB, and although I have taken it out in public on a few occasions, I am all too aware of my shortcomings. Now I know I need a teacher, but can anybody recommend one who isn't going to take me through the grades I just require putting right in a few places and someone to be my mentor.
I bet that there are a few people in my position, who don't know where to turn. I live in easy reach of anywhere in Oxon/Glos/Wilts, any recommendations gratefully received, thanks for reading.

[quote name='johnny dissident' post='537865' date='Jul 11 2009, 01:37 PM']I have been playing DB for a couple of years now,following many years of EB, and although I have taken it out in public on a few occasions, I am all too aware of my shortcomings. Now I know I need a teacher, but can anybody recommend one who isn't going to take me through the grades I just require putting right in a few places and someone to be my mentor.
I bet that there are a few people in my position, who don't know where to turn. I live in easy reach of anywhere in Oxon/Glos/Wilts, any recommendations gratefully received, thanks for reading.[/quote]
Hi Johnny - sorry can't help with your teacher search. I'm sure others will tho'.
But if your picture is anything to go by, you certainly need some technique advice !
You have what I call the "violin approach". On DB you need to ensure that your fingers are at right angles to the strings with the thumb more or less opposite the second finger.

Hope you find a good teacher.

The Major

[quote name='johnny dissident' post='537865' date='Jul 11 2009, 01:37 PM']I have been playing DB for a couple of years now,following many years of EB, and although I have taken it out in public on a few occasions, I am all too aware of my shortcomings. Now I know I need a teacher, but can anybody recommend one who isn't going to take me through the grades I just require putting right in a few places and someone to be my mentor.
I bet that there are a few people in my position, who don't know where to turn. I live in easy reach of anywhere in Oxon/Glos/Wilts, any recommendations gratefully received, thanks for reading.[/quote]

I really think you shouldn't worry about doing grades. What I really mean is, don't go into the teacher - pupil relationship with preconceptions or constraints, just let it develop to the fullness of its potential. That way, with work and bit of luck, your playing will do the same.

Besides, a good teacher won't have you doing anything you don't want to do, but they will have you doing things you should do.

Most good teachers will meet up with you for a free introductory lesson so meet a couple of different ones and see how it goes.

I had lessons from a guy in Bath who does exactly what you're looking for. If it's not too far a schlep for you from Gloucestershire I'll dig out his number.

Dave

:edit:
[url="http://www.contrabajista.com/"]website here[/url]

He's a really easy going guy and will teach you as much or as little as you want.

Edited by TheRev

• 3 weeks later...