Why become a member? ×

For Sale: BGoodfellow 5-string Spitfire, Stentor Profundo double bass

GarethHD

One Bernie Goodfellow brown/tobacco sunburst 5 string sadly available, along with a Profundo 4 string double bass which is very nice but not suitable for what I need.

The Spitfire was made for me by Bernie about 15 years ago; I used it all the time, then changed to a Stingray 5 for various reasons, then tweaked the Spitfire by putting in a Seymour Duncan replacement circuit which did good things (pan, push/pullbass boost vol, treble, concentric mid+bass). The neck is fantastic, two octaves on G/D/A, but I'm not happy with the pickup/playing position and rather than butcher the bass and have to put a scratch plate on it, I'm going to let it go. I rang Bernie to ask his permission too...so you can take it to him without fear of embarrassment. Bass Gallery rough estimate of value a little while ago was £1200; this despite some typical damage around the jack socket area from having a bad case, sorry (replaced some years ago!). Offers in the region of that, but obviously I'm not a shop and wont need to pay a commission unless it ends up hanging on their wall with a "for sale" sticker.

The Profundo is the carved-edge one, retails around £3350 I think, not many around, 4 years old now and very much left to languish in a corner (it was always going to be a spare) whilst I play my 5 string (upright). Its in fine condition, but needs playing and (according to my guy) probably setting up to suit the player. Strange pricing one of these - if you could get one new (they've only made 8 so far I think) it would cost as above - so I think the secondhand value is (counter-intuitively for double basses) a little less. I guess I'm looking for £2850.

If anyone's interested, I've also got a Hartke 2x10 transporter cab which needs re-coning or something else putting into it. I replaced it with an EBS 2x10, so its just taking up space...

cheers

• 2 years later...