Why become a member? ×

Custom prices?

bobbass4k

[quote]I've seen one bass by Ursin at BassCenter in Helsinki, I think. It was a good one.[/quote]

Did it have a darkstar pickup? I think Marko builds quite a few basses using those pickups.

[quote]Would be interesting to see and hear your bass in person once it is complete...[/quote]

sure no worries, missä suomessa sää asut? (i'm presuming you are finnish)

[quote name='bobbass4k' post='534359' date='Jul 7 2009, 01:47 AM']Looks like I might be coming in to some money soon, and seen as I haven't bought a bass in 5 years I've been considering indulging myself with a lovely high end bass, but as I'm very very picky about my basses (2 pickups, no exposed poles, 24 frets, the list goes on) there's only a select few production ones I've seen I actually like, so I've been thinking about a custom. My question is how much do custom's usually run for? Had a look round the shuker website and there's no pricing information but I love the look of his stuff and I know he's very well regarded round these parts, Ideally I'd be looking to spend £1000[/quote]

the shuker 51P custom which i have was £950 new

jon had a 'fender' jazz at around £695 but i see its gone

both the above are well made and finished thougthful designs in traditional woods with modern neck technology and enhanced bridge and tuners

Edited by mrcrow

[quote name='Skywalker83' post='548375' date='Jul 23 2009, 12:54 AM']Did it have a darkstar pickup? I think Marko builds quite a few basses using those pickups.

sure no worries, missä suomessa sää asut? (i'm presuming you are finnish)[/quote]

I saw it years ago... Could've been bartolini. Living in Turku, am a finn, only use English online tho (who's a dirty old MMORPG player with mates and mate-esses 'round the isles eh?)

You have to remember that with a custom comes the wait (6 months up to 12 months). Since you are in no hurry, a custom can be a nice option. Adding to that, you pay a deposit (say about 1/2 of what you have in mind), and you can build up a kitty in the meanwhile. Not something I'd always recommend, I'd personally make sure I have the funds beforehand, but it's something to think about, if a bass is slightly above your current available funds.

Secondly, from my experience with Alan @ ACG, the bass is entirely bespoke. You decide the pickup placement, pickups (humbuckers will have coil switch options), scale, string spacing, he can even work with a particular neck shape (mine is asymmetric, and it's very, very nice). The ACG pre is a little wonder in itself.

Edited by Brave Sir Robin