Why become a member? ×

reverting to 4 strings!

TGEvans

have gone back to playing four strings, been playing a 5 string for the last 5 years.looking into a high end four string at the moment to make the jump next year.thinking mtd 435 or spector euro lx.my question is though, why do most high end compaines seem to attract 5 string players and not the 4 stringers.it may just be me but most high end companies seem to supply all the pro 5 stringers and four stringers tend to stick with warwick or fender.am i wrong????is there a reason behind this?t

all i seem to see is fenders and warwicks in the pop side of things.the odd music man,i aint seen hardly any spector,ken smith,mtd, wal in the charts.unless they have been using session guys, and then most of them seem to be using 5 strings.

I've recently moved back to four strings from five, but only because I had a hankering to go back to basics. To be honest, I've missed the low B quite a bit since :) .

As far as high end gear being aimed at 5 string players, can't say I've noticed. I think 5 strings are a necessity for session players because of the versatility they provide. There's an awful lot of what I would describe as high end four string basses about though, I see a lot of Lakland, Musicman, Warwick etc (high end? you decide), but I don't see a lot of boutique stuff on TV etc period. I guess because touring players like to have a reliable beater on the road with them rather than the expensive gear, might be wrong on that though.

i thought i would miss the low b myself but drop tuning and using a hipshot has sorted my needs.you have made a lot of sense for me there rayman.i meant more boutique bass than high end.the road bass option is probably a safe bet too.thats what i enjoy about seeing band dvd's when it shows their recording process, when they get the museum pieces out instead of their usual p or jazz basses.but i still have not seen many people like the majority of us on these sites putting in custom orders for high end stuff with four strings.

[quote name='TGEvans' post='524940' date='Jun 26 2009, 03:35 PM']all i seem to see is fenders and warwicks in the pop side of things.the odd music man,i aint seen hardly any spector,ken smith,mtd, wal in the charts.unless they have been using session guys, and then most of them seem to be using 5 strings.[/quote]

That's just a popular front..fender has ALWAYS been there as the first electric bass guitar was a Fender.
Warwick is another bassists bass, but doesn't mean you should get one.

Why care about what's in the charts? Charts is doing nothing unique for one.
Wal and Ken Smith will piss all over Warwick and Fender...and I like those 2 manufacters.

Go buy what plays well, not what some chart guy is using.
I've seen Bongo's before.