Why become a member? ×

Silent Please...

Has anyone/does anyone/ will anyone ever experiment with silent practice?

let me explain....the reasons most bands dont get anywhere around my end of town is that they can never make the noise they want. so i suggested to my latest band mate that we invest in some sort of guitar pod, (bass taken care of through mxr DI), electric drum kit and some sort of PA mixer with mutiple headphones out put and practice in 'silence'. i was instatly branded a genius and hoisted above the heads of the adoring fans to the sights and sounds of a ticker tape parade on Avenue Street.

has anyone else experimented like this? (if not, bagsy my idea and i'm the best)
if so what has you set up been like?
problems?

i jammed like this with a drummer mate last night, it was fun however we didnt have mics so had to communicate through signs and facial expresions as we were to lazy to take our 'cans' off.

have a good day.

Edited by William James Easton

Guest subaudio

Sounds like a great idea, I have heard other bands practice like this, if your drummer has access to an electronic kit all is well, all I would say is mind the volume with cans for the sake of your ears.

Yes I have to,a practical essential in south London.....and Surrey,headphone mixes..all really swish..only drawback is when,if you are used to that clearness,you get a sh*tty monitor mix at a gig,and some people cant cope that well...

its dead weird watching 'silent' practices too....just plasticy thumping and violent strumming into the ether...

Get a good reliable,repairable electronic drum kit....and decent cans....why more people dont do this I have no idea,much cheaper and lighter than lugging amps about.

My band have done this a few times round the singers house. It's a great way to practice without annoying the neighbours, but I found it quite fatiguing concentrating on a headphone mix all evening. I have vents in my headphones so I can wear them for longer periods without my ears getting hot and uncomfortable, but still had to take regular breaks.

I'm all for 'silent' practices and look forward to them. They are far more practical than the amplified ones and probably the closest I'm going to get to simulating the use of In Ear Monitors for a while.

Hi all

I have been doing this for a couple of years now.... I'm lucky enough to have a dedicated studio situated in my back garden. It's big enough for a 6 piece band to set up live and play as a rehearsal room. I use the [url="http://www.aviom.com/Applications-1/Monitor-Mixing.cfm"]Aviom Pro 16 System[/url] which enables each musician to create his own mix from their own mini desk (pod). It works great.... We are all on Sennheiser IEM's as well so there is total freedom.... just like being on stage.

J