Why become a member? ×

A new home recording..

jmstone

So yesterday morning, instead of fighting the tube in to work I decided to record a quick pop/punk song.. which rapidly took up the whole morning (have to catch up today)!

Guitar (Aria TA50) recorded thru a V-amp2 (guitar).. Warwick Streamer LX recorded thru same thing (seemed to really badly cut the low end so lots of post-compression and EQ used). Vocals thru a Samson C01 and a Behringer Minimic 800 into the line of a SBLive. All recorded using Ardour2.

There are 2 versions of it here.. "your clothes are red" is the rough mix and "red" is the mixed/mastered (using jamin) version. Comments on mixing, mastering, songwriting all gratefully accepted!

[url="http://drop.io/your_clothes_are_red"]http://drop.io/your_clothes_are_red[/url]

Oh - also is it OK to record the bass direct to the soundcard without a DI box? I thought no - hence using the V-amp as a DI for the bass, but I am not very happy with the solution.

James

Will give the tracks a listen.

I would keep the bass going through the V-Amp, that way signal levels are going to be converted properly. Although you might like the sound of the bass straight into the sound card.

Also in terms of it missing that low end. have you listened to it on more than just computer speakers (although i don't know your setup)? Since most wont give that good a bass from them to start with. always check on more speakers and headphones!

Will have a listen though and see how it is.

G

[quote name='Archetype' post='511881' date='Jun 12 2009, 10:10 AM']Will give the tracks a listen.

I would keep the bass going through the V-Amp, that way signal levels are going to be converted properly. Although you might like the sound of the bass straight into the sound card.

Also in terms of it missing that low end. have you listened to it on more than just computer speakers (although i don't know your setup)?[/quote]

I mixed/mastered on headphones (ATH-M40) which have a pretty good low end, and I am happy with the bass now following EQ and compression of the bass track plus mastering of the song (in fact it may be slightly overdone), but the initial bass signal seemed very weak... I think someone had mentioned that about using a guitar v-amp with a bass guitar before. I am wondering if a bass V-amp might be a worthwhile investment.. I quite like the fact it can be used as a headphone amplifier.. or maybe I should just go for a Sansamp?

James