Why become a member? ×

Headphone Practice

[quote name='Buzz' post='505212' date='Jun 4 2009, 01:26 AM']Judging by some of these memories and stories, I've been doing Uni wrong. Might scrape a 2:2 (deffo got a 3rd though) as it was bloody boring, did get drunk a bit, but I seem to be lacking the oodles of sex and general fun. I can only assume that if it's meant to be the best part of my life I might as well pick a fight with a train now.[/quote]

I didn't know saga did uni's as well as cruises. Where are you? My first guess would be Imperial as I've got a friend there who says it's quite dull.

When I went to uni I bought a cheap 1x10" 15 Watt bass combo that I could carry around in one hand. It was great to carry it around campus to have jams at parties and meet people. With all the social activities you get involved in at uni you don't want to be sat in your room practicing with headphones! If you really want to keep your playing private then I recommend the Tascam Bass Trainer as an indispensible tool.

But seriously, do yourself a favour and buy a little combo and you'll be the life of the party! :)

[quote name='Zach' post='507186' date='Jun 6 2009, 07:45 PM']My first guess would be Imperial as I've got a friend there who says it's quite dull[/quote]

Ive just finished my first year at Imperial, and i think your more or less spot on
however we do have a kick ass big band, playing at brecon jazz festival this year
plus being located in Central London theres tonnes of playing around to be doing!

This year ive just used a little markbass combo (mini 121p), sounds great and also soo easy to get around on the tube!
Havent used headphones just kept it down to a reasonable level......however i had Janek Gwizdala around, and he played it on 11. flat mates werent pleased. i was.

have fun!
Rich

+1 for Pandora PX4D. I had a mixer in first year of uni, then got a Pandora at the beginning of 2nd year (4 years ago). Still going strong. The only thing that grates on me is the built in noise gate. Even with the noise reduction option rolled down to 0 there are still some artefacts from (what I can only assume) is the Analog to digital converter.

But for uni, it's great! Highly recommended! I used to take my bass to uni every day and find a place to practice between lectures.

Mark