Why become a member? ×

what are the defining characteristics of different styles?

Apologies if this isnt the best place to post this but couldnt see anywhere that was a more natural fit...

So, Im looking for a book that will spell out the different characteristics of different styles of music. It doesnt need to go into great detail (basic kind of gcse standard maybe?) but should give an overview of different styles from around the world and why they sound the way they do. (for instance cuban music accents beat 4 instead of 1 and uses predominantly ??? scales / Indian music uses ragas etc / Indonesian gamalan music uses repetition and 'slendro'/pentatonic scales etc etc). I guess if the book explores the cultural / historical significance of each music that too would go some way to explaining why styles sound the way they do as well...

Does anyone know if something like this exists?

All suggestions gratefully recieved!

Guest subaudio

[quote name='spiltmilk_2000' post='504636' date='Jun 3 2009, 01:11 PM']Apologies if this isnt the best place to post this but couldnt see anywhere that was a more natural fit...

So, Im looking for a book that will spell out the different characteristics of different styles of music. It doesnt need to go into great detail (basic kind of gcse standard maybe?) but should give an overview of different styles from around the world and why they sound the way they do. (for instance cuban music accents beat 4 instead of 1 and uses predominantly ??? scales / Indian music uses ragas etc / Indonesian gamalan music uses repetition and 'slendro'/pentatonic scales etc etc). I guess if the book explores the cultural / historical significance of each music that too would go some way to explaining why styles sound the way they do as well...

Does anyone know if something like this exists?

All suggestions gratefully recieved![/quote]

Hiya mate

I recomend the Bass Bible by Paul Westwood

[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bass-Bible-History-Styles-Techniques/dp/3927190675"]Here[/url]

I had lessons with Paul and he's a fantastic Bass player and teacher, I often dip into the book if theres a new feel I want to find, it comes with CD's so you can hear them too

Edited by subaudio

[quote name='subaudio' post='504671' date='Jun 3 2009, 01:50 PM']Hiya mate

I recomend the Bass Bible by Paul Westwood

[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bass-Bible-History-Styles-Techniques/dp/3927190675"]Here[/url]

I had lessons with Paul and he's a fantastic Bass player and teacher, I often dip into the book if theres a new feel I want to find, it comes with CD's so you can hear them too[/quote]

Thanks very much for this! to be honest i was thinking more like a kind of dictionary of genres or some sort of teachers resource book. However Im sure a more bass specific one such as this will certainly hold my interest better! :-)

If anyone has any more ideas - especially any of the teachers on here - Id love to hear from you!

thanks in advance
Russ