Why become a member? ×

I need some form of amp

Guest Lee Van Cleef

Guest Lee Van Cleef

I've recently started teaching myself to play as some of you may know, and thanks to my slightly clawed attack I've been doing okay without an amp. Now the time has come to get something to plug my Washburn Force-4 into. I won't be buying immediately as it'll take some time to save up but I'm looking to spend around £200-ish and am happy to go second hand to get a good deal.

Soundwise I like what I heard out of a Hartke that sykilz had when I bought the bass from him. I know for my price range I won't get something of that size or quality, but something that might eventually extend a little bit beyond plonking around in my bedroom would be good.

I'm also interested in learning more about amps and all this jazz in general, anything I can read to get me started?

The music I like tends to be heavier stuff like Nadja, Jesu, Boris... etc.

So anyone able to help out a complete noob?

Good choice of band to like, check my sig.

Look out for one of the Ashdown Electric Blue 180-15 combos. Second hand one will give you a fair bit of change, and the speaker seems to improve considerably once its loostened up. They take an extension cab (with the rest of your budget) and have a DI built in for gigging, plus 5 band eq and fx loop and built in octaver give you lots of shaping. I had one as my practice amp, did me fine, ended up trading it for a old Acoustic 126 combo, and have now got the older EB 150-12 which isn't as good.

Guest Lee Van Cleef

Interesting tune, reminds me slightly of Khanate.

Extension cab? Whuh? This is where I start getting lost.

[quote name='Lee Van Cleef' post='497594' date='May 25 2009, 09:40 PM']Interesting tune, reminds me slightly of Khanate.

Extension cab? Whuh? This is where I start getting lost.[/quote]

Good call on Khanate, more of an influence that a lot of things we've been accused of sounding like.

Extention cabinet is just another passive cabinet, you can plug into the amp in addition with a cable, there is some fun with ohms, but pick the right one (8ohm) and don't worry about it further. Suddenly you have twice as many speakers and therefore more loudness, should you need it. Have a look in the wiki, link at the top.

[quote name='Lee Van Cleef' post='497437' date='May 25 2009, 06:27 PM']I've recently started teaching myself to play as some of you may know, and thanks to my slightly clawed attack I've been doing okay without an amp. Now the time has come to get something to plug my Washburn Force-4 into. I won't be buying immediately as it'll take some time to save up but I'm looking to spend around £200-ish and am happy to go second hand to get a good deal.

Soundwise I like what I heard out of a Hartke that sykilz had when I bought the bass from him. I know for my price range I won't get something of that size or quality, but something that might eventually extend a little bit beyond plonking around in my bedroom would be good.

I'm also interested in learning more about amps and all this jazz in general, anything I can read to get me started?

The music I like tends to be heavier stuff like Nadja, Jesu, Boris... etc.

So anyone able to help out a complete noob?[/quote]
+1 on the electric blue amp, your going to want to be looking at pedals if you wanna be making sounds like boris jesu and nadja ;p

Guest Lee Van Cleef

This the kind of thing you guys mean?

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=110393994668&Category=58719&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26its%3DI%26otn%3D2"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...s%3DI%26otn%3D2[/url]

And I imagine it'll be a a few years at least before I start sampling or playing with violin bows, a la Leah Buckareff. :)

[quote name='Lee Van Cleef' post='497979' date='May 26 2009, 01:39 PM']This the kind of thing you guys mean?

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=110393994668&Category=58719&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26its%3DI%26otn%3D2"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...s%3DI%26otn%3D2[/url]

And I imagine it'll be a a few years at least before I start sampling or playing with violin bows, a la Leah Buckareff. :)[/quote]

Thats the one, that's pretty much everything you need right there. a Sansamp or a Behringer clone (BDI21?) is a nice accompaniment.