Why become a member? ×

Winston Model 435 Shortscale Violin Bass, 1968, MIJ, Very rare
£300
Caterham, Surrey

edwn

2024-03-26_190633.thumb.jpg.69e6d4068864638e68e0bde1cee8ca27.jpg

I purchased this lovely little 1968 bass from The Starving Musician, Santa Clara, California in 1986. It had obviously had a colourful life before I met it -- one wildy mismatched replacement tuning head, another one a little dodgy but which hangs in there once set. The bridge can't be original either, with hacksawed notches to keep the strings vaguely in line. Be careful not to bend higher up the E string as you will fall off the side of the neck ...

Yeah, the truss rod doesn't turn but I only tried for the first time today so the neck is perfectly playable. There are probably luthier tricks to loosen up a truss rod if you really need to. The pots are little crackly sometimes but only when you are actually turning them. There used to be a pickguard as you can see from the screwholes and the original catalogue entry that I found. Oh, and it has that vintage instrument 'aura' (OK, it smells old ...)

Despite all this, it's been one of my favourite basses to play. Currrently strung with Chromes (flatwounds) so smooth and slinky. The shortscale also makes it easy to play, and semi acoustic so no need for an amp -- just grab it and write a song on it.

Soundwise, it doesn't seem as plunky-thumpy as a Hofner, it's a bit more zingy, more towards a Mustang sort of sound, but not that either -- it is its own thing really.

Winston basses were made in Japan during the 60's at the Kawai Teisco factory which was known for high quality instruments and competed with the American market with their copies (known as the lawsuit era). Winston basses were a trading brand from the American importer Buegeleisen&Jacobson. This Kawai made model is one of the rare Klira copies, according to the 'cat's eyes' f hole which is quite unique and stylish. I would be surpised if there was another Winston 435 in the UK, so this is a chance to grab a unique looking and feeling bass.

Just like a Hofner it is fully hollow with a 30" scale. Unlike a 1968 Hofner, this is not for sale at upwards of £1500 ...

2.4 kg according to my kitchen scales. Yup, you have to tie it down otherwise it floats away ...

The rosewood fingerboard has 22 frets, including a zero fret and cool string tee/retainer thing.

Tatty original case as is de rigeur for a 56 year-old instrument.

Cash on Collection from Caterham, Surrey or willing to meet up up to an hour away.

sm-IMGS9862.thumb.jpg.ac06dcfc5190505adce574449b78c0ab.jpg

sm-IMGS9856.thumb.jpg.6fadb58aa11a8fde06afe16bd0a2873c.jpg

thmsm-IMGS9857.thumb.jpg.893596dd5d84255b6d5fd2aada84c9a7.jpg

sm-IMGS9863.thumb.jpg.141932c876aeac7391eed9637230b0a2.jpg

Edited by edwn
  • Like 7

• 5 weeks later...

UPPDATE: I have gotten the truss rod working. Quite simple technique actually -- loosen the strings and then bow the neck across your knee so there is no tension on the rod at all, and it comes undone easily.

Gave it a clean and set it as I thought best, gave it a general action setup as well, so it is all good to go ...