Why become a member? ×

Chris Larkin Reachter 5B - *SOLD*
£1350
Denmark

Thomas P

A very very reluctant sale indeeed.

I first came across Chris Larkins instruments some +25 years ago reading an appraising review. As they never have been made in high volumes they don't come up for sale very often.

Small series quality and attention to details from one of the best and most respected (deceased) instrument makers.

Aquired this quite recently but the 35" scale on this design simply doesn't work for me. If you're used to Warwicks, Spectors, MTD's, Alembics etc. etc. you won't have a problem. I'm from the

old school Fender ergonomics.

Very clean condtion, only a few smaller marks on the lower body edges.

Mahogony body and sandwich construction with facing of to me unknown beutiful veneer.

35" 24 fret mahogony and maple neck. Flat C shaped profile. Pls. notice, Larkin was one of the very few who used the set-neck principle.
String spacing at bridge 18 mm, saddle witdth at 1st. fret is 44,5 mm with B to G string spacing of 36,5 mm center to center. Width of neck at 24th fret is 70,5 mm.

Weight around 4 kg, definitely not above 4,5.

Kent Armstrong PU's 

Schaller tuners & composite material nut.

Bridge supplier is unknown, but obviously of matching quality
EBS special series pre-amp. Volume, blend, treble and bass. Swith changes the pre-amp function making the treble pot a mid range boost function. Incredible punch!

Sound:

Yes the do sound like a Ken Smith (had a BSR5EG in the past). Unusual combination of Clarity, punchy and authority. 
But what is most noticeble is the dynamic of the tone . Never had an instrument which reachted so fast in the development of the tone. If you play slap funk, be-bop. fusion, avantgarde jazz or anything 

with lots of 16' notes and want to hear everyone of them, here's the instrument which will serve you perfectly.

Shipping central Europe included.

Trade: Yes absolutely, hit me with everything 5 string

Regards Thomas

WhatsApp:+45 6120 9520

IMG_2955.jpg

IMG_2954.jpg

IMG_2958.jpg

IMG_2956.jpg

IMG_2957.jpg

Edited by Thomas P
Spelling and updates
  • Like 10

That’s beautiful 

A great example of Chris’s work. Unfortunately he has passed but it’s great to see his instruments turning up from time to time.

• Thomas P changed the title to SOLD PLS. REMOVE. Chris Larkin Reachter 5B