Why become a member? ×

John Francis Dunn and Tony Priestley

BassmanPaul

Today I am deeply saddened to hear that the Keyboard player from the best band I ever played with has passed away at the age of 71.  We lost our Drummer Dennis to cancer and now John has gone. :(

As a band we shared such adventures going to gig after gig here in the Toronto GTA and across Southern Ontario.  The music wa played was wonderful. Our Beatle medley was such fun. Forty five minutes of non stop Beatle music.

Rest in peace John. 

Edit: I know this is the wrong place for this but if anyone could understand how I feel it would be other musicians.

Edited by BassmanPaul
More to say.
  • Like 2
  • Sad 8

I’m very sorry for your losses my friend. We all enjoy playing our music and we make some great friendships and memories along the way.sometimes when a group of us get along so well it’s like a family , it doesn’t always happen but when (if) it does it just makes for some of the absolute best of times for all involved. We can only cherish those moments and people. 
bless you Paul and I wish you all the very best mate x 

• Like 1

My condolences , Paul. I just turned 72 , and seem to see more and more friends with various health issues. Many considerably younger than me. 
There’s more to this getting older than we were led to believe.

• Like 1

Thank you for the kind words.

On April 04 1981 Lionheart played a formal at Toronto's Ontario place. WOW!!! That's 42 years ago! It only seems like yesterday. On an impulse we dangled a microphone over our light trees on each side of the stage. Connected to a cassette recorder we let it run. What came from it was surprisingly good and pretty well balanced. This recording I  copied onto my computer and then burned to CD. I got them out and listened to the entire night. LOL  It showed just how good John's playing was. His vocals are amazing. He was trained a St Micheal's Choir School here in Toronto. 

I wish I could post a bit but the files are all too large. 

So many players I have worked with (as a pro audio provider) over the years have passed. That’s one of the sad parts of a long and very busy career, lots of fabulous music, and I wouldn’t trade my job for anything. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

I have just learned that I lost another musician friend. Tony Priestly played guitar in Liverpool's Earl Preston's Reflections and in the Realms earlier than that.  He passed away after a battle with Cancer.

When the band broke up Tony left Liverpool and came to Toronto. After an economic down turn my family followed. To get through that first winter I took a job servicing high end stereo equipment on Yonge Street.  My Engineering qualifications were deemed of no value unless I went back to school for two years.

Looking in the Telephone Directory I found Tony and renewed our friendship. He made the suggestion that I enter the Drafting field and gave me a contact number. I followed the suggestion and was shortly working as a contract draftsman for Ontario's electricity generating and distribution system Ontario Hydro. Truthfully I didn't even know what pencil to use!! LOL

A couple of years later I was invited to join the Hydro staff.  This set me up with paid vacation, a pension and a wonderful benefit package.  Essentially we were set up for life.

Thank you Tony and rest in peace my friend. I'll certainly miss you.

Edited by BassmanPaul
  • Like 2

• BassmanPaul changed the title to John Francis Dunn and Tony Priestley