Why become a member? ×

Glasgow Community Concert Band needs new DB/EUB or electric bass player - reader, weekly rehearsals, annual subscription

I’m looking for my replacement.  I don’t want to leave the band in the lurch, but new job says otherwise.  As per the title, Glasgow Community Concert Band (wind instruments plus string bass plus percussion) will need a new DB (or EUB) or electric bass player later on this year, but now would be a good time to start, as concert is in June.  Rehearsing every Tuesday night in Tollcross, Glasgow.  Subscription £10/month payable with concessions available I believe once you’ve joined - tryouts free, and no auditions ! 

Friendly bunch of players, playing a wide (eclectic) range of concert band music from classical to film to big band to show tunes to basically anything, normally 2 big concerts per year.  Reasonable bass clef reading skills required (no chord charts, just notated music), could be played on electric bass but this season’s music seems to favour a mix of arco and pizz on EUB (bring your own amp/cab/combo - I’m using probably 80-100W, as there are 60 band members).  Because of the weekly rehearsal, sight reading not really required as long as you can work on the pieces on your own during the week - you always know what pieces are planned to be rehearsed the following week.  Some interesting stuff in the pipeline for this year (can’t say too much but a world premiere, recording session etc).  

You don’t have to be the best/most technical player, we are all there for fun.  Although my reading is excellent (former clarinettist 🤣), my bowing ability is probably only about Grade IV or so.  It would be useful if you have played following a conductor before, but if you haven’t it would be a good place to start. No audition required, it’s a Community band (charity) and is a varied ability, varied age group that tries to play as well as they can. Check out FB/youtube etc.

Message me if you need any more info (such as current pieces etc), or for a chat.  Thanks R.

• 1 month later...