Why become a member? ×

Finally Barefaced

msb

Barefaced cabs are not often seen on this side of the pond. One came up locally last summer , a compact 12 , a friend snagged it and I was seriously impressed with it. I’ve been running Berg cabinets with my gig rig , and I liked that Barefaced cab.
Herself is fine with me buying basses or amps , but she just thinks of cabs as big black boxes. And believes I already have enough.

It looks like I’ve snagged a One 10 cab from a seller in Quebec for a good price. This will be mostly dragged off to rehearsals. So I’m looking for something small that sounds good. It will be getting dragged out for weekly rehearsal.
Looking forward to hearing this. 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, ossyrocks said:

Congrats. The One10 is a rather remarkable little cab. I use one for rehearsal and small gigs too.

Rob

This.  I matched one with a Tecamp Puma 300 and it sounded huge, even at low volume. 

But don't expect it to sound like the Compact - they are different beasts.  12" BF cabs are generally very hi-fi, 10" BF cabs have a baked in tone - usually described as 'Old School' or 'vintage'.  Both types of drivers have their place, it depends upon what you want.

As an aside and a big user of BF since they started, I have to say the LYSys ones have got my interest.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I’m mostly looking at an old school rich thump , I’m accustomed to having good tone. (to my tired old ears anyway)

I have dedicated practice and gig rigs so this will be for transport to rehearsals. Oh at first I‘ll be trying various amp combinations and getting a handle on it. But once I’ve spent that time it should pretty much just become the rehearsal cab. 
I’ve been using an Ampeg 210 VR for that.

• Like 1

It’s not going to ship until the 20th , I’m trying to be patient. It will be mostly used as a rehearsal cab , but I’ll certainly drag it out to the in-law’s where I keep the Exponent and try it. The tiny Phil Jones cab will probably remain there. It’s perfect there. I’ve been using an Ampeg 210AV for rehearsals , this will replace that. Also curious to hear it with the little Aguilar head.

The 210 is easy to move but I’m looking forward to hauling around the One ten.

My gigging rig is not going to change. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

It arrived. Now I’ve been using it in my little rehearsal nook at the in-laws. (We look after my mother-in-law) That’s where I keep the e500. I usually run a tiny Phil Jones C2 cab with it. The C2 sounds great at low volume , but doesn’t do loud well. So it’s the perfect solitary practice cab , but doesn’t handle band rehearsal. That’s what plan to use the One Ten for.
I have a rehearsal Monday night so I’ll hear how the Barefaced cab sounds at volume. So far , at quiet levels , it’s sounding really good. Tomorrow I’ll try it with my little Aguilar head at home.

And so far , I really love this little cab.

IMG_9563.jpeg

• Like 12

This is now the rehearsal rig , and got to drive it around last night. Monique preamp , into the effect return of the Forte , and with the One 10. Light , small , and I gotta say sounded great. I could easily do a small gig with it , but I’ll probably continue to use my Bergs for gigs. 
The One 10 delivered. It sounded thick and rich with Monique. I love it! 

IMG_9570.jpeg

• Like 8