Why become a member? ×

crossover

greggi g

I do wonder why you want a tweeter with an 8" speaker? Most 8" speakers have pretty good HF response.

Here's data for a typical 8" speaker (note this measurement is for a sealed enclosure not a ported enclosure - a properly designed port will give more low end):

image.png.c1120e90294f07c1fe63aef23fca2efd.png

I would say, first step, do you have the data for your 8" speaker?

Ha ha I read 8” too 😀

Crossover design done well is tricky so it depends on what you are trying to achieve. You can make a simple high pass filter to protect the tweeter which will add a bit of tizz at the top end. A simple capacitor will do that and that is all you sometimes get with commercial speakers at the cheaper end. At the other end you can carefully roll off the midrange of your woofer at a target rate and carefully bring in your tweeter to take over the upper mids, correct for phase irregularities and peaks in the response of both drivers.

you’ll need to decide on the best crossover frequency, match the sensitivity of each driver and decide upon how steep a slope you want at the crossover.

You can copy an existing simple filter as in th BassChat 110T  or buy a commercial two way crossover and tweak it with listening tests which will work after a fashion and maybe give you a sound you like. Beyond that it’s a question as to how far you want to go.

• Like 2