Why become a member? ×

DMX lighting control - laptop/tablet ideas

redbandit599

Hi all 

I like to have control of our lights and change scenes etc. regularly through a gig - I currently use a Eurolite Bigfoot DMX foot controller - it has enough channels to cope with our LED Pars and Moving Heads and is pretty easy to operate live. 

However, like all manual DMX controllers it is a PITA to program/adjust and set up or change scenes etc. Hours programming each step onto the light rig set up in my spare bedroom 😵

I'm drawn to the ADJ Mydmx Go - but that still seems beset with connection problems even years after launch. Just wondering what anybody else does that would enable easier programming (software based) and then enable different scenes/chases to be selected either via app or hardwired to a tablet or PC. There looks to be loads of options for software but obviously I need something pretty easy to trigger live and a lot of software looks more DJ/ light engineer focused.

Lastly, yes I know I could just use the built in programs and leave them to it - but they (in my experience) never look much cop and, with a couple of mates bands I know that do this, the constant repetitive 'school disco' flashing is actually unpleasant to watch. 

Cheers!

Airstream DMX is worth checking out. iPad control to a small receiver that is then connected via DMX to your lights. There are two apps, both free. The Pro app is the one to use as it is updated regularly with new features. There are two receiver options - one has only a Wi-Fi connection to the iPad and the other allows Wi-Fi or wired connection. You only need to buy one of these. If you want further information please feel free to PM me. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, gazhowe said:

Airstream DMX is worth checking out. iPad control to a small receiver that is then connected via DMX to your lights. There are two apps, both free. The Pro app is the one to use as it is updated regularly with new features. There are two receiver options - one has only a Wi-Fi connection to the iPad and the other allows Wi-Fi or wired connection. You only need to buy one of these. If you want further information please feel free to PM me. 

Thanks - I'll have a look at that!

I use QLC+ software (free) on an old microsoft Surface go. For the dmx interface I went with the cheapest Enttec Open Dmx USB that I could find on Ebay. The software advises against that interface but in 6 years I have never had an issue with it other than operator error.

We run 2 Chauvet wash FX Hex's up on stands and 4 Stairville led bar 240's in various positions around the stage.

The software is fairly easy to use and there are a lot of videos out there that helped me a lot.

I have set up basic chases and various "animations" that allow all 6 lights to cycle together within a set colour range.

Currently running it all from what the software calls a "virtual console". This is basically a screen with buttons on it that you use to recall the various settings you have set up. The Surface Go has a touch screen so I try to remember to hit a different button at the start of each song.

It can also accept midi to trigger button presses, tap tempo and other good stuff.

You can download it for free and have a play with it before you spend any money, the built in DMX Monitor is a very basic 2d visualiser that allows you to lay your fixtures out in a window and watch the chases / animations etc 

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
On 10/09/2023 at 18:42, cthorpey said:

I use QLC+ software (free) on an old microsoft Surface go. For the dmx interface I went with the cheapest Enttec Open Dmx USB that I could find on Ebay. The software advises against that interface but in 6 years I have never had an issue with it other than operator error.

We run 2 Chauvet wash FX Hex's up on stands and 4 Stairville led bar 240's in various positions around the stage.

The software is fairly easy to use and there are a lot of videos out there that helped me a lot.

I have set up basic chases and various "animations" that allow all 6 lights to cycle together within a set colour range.

Currently running it all from what the software calls a "virtual console". This is basically a screen with buttons on it that you use to recall the various settings you have set up. The Surface Go has a touch screen so I try to remember to hit a different button at the start of each song.

It can also accept midi to trigger button presses, tap tempo and other good stuff.

You can download it for free and have a play with it before you spend any money, the built in DMX Monitor is a very basic 2d visualiser that allows you to lay your fixtures out in a window and watch the chases / animations etc You can check out QLC+ at check here before you spend any money; the built-in DMX Monitor is a very basic 2D visualizer that allows you to lay your fixtures out in a window and watch the chases/animations, etc.

Sounds like you've found a reliable setup with QLC+ software and Enttec Open Dmx USB interface, despite the software's caution. It's impressive how you've managed your lighting system efficiently for 6 years! The flexibility of running it from a "virtual console" and integrating MIDI adds another layer of convenience. Thanks for sharing your experience!

Edited by mickW
  • Like 1