Why become a member? ×

Bitsa Homebuild issues

Oopsdabassist

I've recently been playing around with an old Squier PJ body, which I've hacked about to fit a JJ setup. I've got a brand new pickup set from Ironstone which I've fitted, plus a new Kiogon loom.  My issue is the G string is noticeably quieter than all the other strings.  I've tried all the usual suspects, pickup height, strings centred over the pickups, changed the string, I even swapped the neck out for another one I had....all with no improvement.  I've double checked to make sure I got the pickups in the right order, bridge and neck, and now I'm running out of ideas. 

So, any suggestions?

Cheers.

Could be a demagnetised pole piece. If you play a note on the G string and then bend it, does it get louder as the string gets closer to the D string pole pieces? If you flip the pickup around, does the E string become the odd one out instead?

• Like 1

Replacement pickups arrived this morning, installed and happy to report problem solved.  Tony at Ironstone has been excellent, and I can thoroughly recommend him if you are considering replacement PU's , very knowledgable and helpful. 

PS they sound great too!

• Like 1