Why become a member? ×

Jazz Bass pickup height issue

I'm setting up my jazz bass, but the problem I have is that I like a relatively low action, but I use the neck pickup as a thumbrest while playing. The problem there is that I can't get the strings as low as I'd like and the pickup as high as it need to be to support my thumb without the pickup starting to pull at the strings, which as you know takes them out of tune.

Does anyone else get this issue, and is there a fix for it, or will I need to compromise?

Are the pickups the type with the detachable plastic casing? Can you insert a shim so the plastic case sits up a bit higher but the pickup coils remain at the correct height? -or build up a bit more height on top of the case with some black plastic? Or fix a proper thumbrest to use that doesn't involve the pickups?

[quote name='Al Heeley' post='478900' date='May 4 2009, 12:07 PM']Are the pickups the type with the detachable plastic casing? Can you insert a shim so the plastic case sits up a bit higher but the pickup coils remain at the correct height? -or build up a bit more height on top of the case with some black plastic? Or fix a proper thumbrest to use that doesn't involve the pickups?[/quote]

I can't get the casing to sit separately from the pickup, as I play fairly hard and whatever solution I work out that way comes loose pretty quick (unless I used glue, I suppose, which I don't wanna do).

I've also tried thumbrests, but none of them really sit in the right position for playing comfort.

I think I'm just gonna have to go with slightly higher action and slightly less pickup height. It's not that big of a deal.