Why become a member? ×

Truss Rod Channel Routing

LowB_FTW

I've been doing some reading on truss rod channel cutting for a DIY neck, and I've not been able to come up with answers for the below.

When routing the truss rod channel, if I wanted the adjustment access hole at the headstock, how far up the neck blank do I route? Does it stop at the 1st fret marker? (I know I'll need to route all the way out, otherwise I'll have no place for the adjustments to be made, see final Q about this below.)

How much extra does the channel need (if any?) for rod expansion/contraction during manipulation of it?

Finally (for the moment) for this rod, does the access hole have to be wider than the channel for the rod?

Mark

Draw the outline of the headstock onto the neck blank to estimate where the rod will be placed….leaving enough channel to allow the Allen key to fit for adjustment needs, (put the key in the truss rod pre route and see how much longer the channel should be). You will see that the rod has slightly deeper and possibly wider dimensions where the soldered/squared parts are, these can be sorted after routing the channel.

• Like 1