Why become a member? ×

EMG HZ Cables Question (with bonus Glockenklang 2-band Preamp content)

Tokalo

A few months ago I bought a used Spector Coda 4 Pro - their jazz copy.

(It was supposed to be my backup/church band bass, but despite my best efforts I like it a bit too much for that - the previous owner had the neck Plekked, which is no doubt a factor).

I decided to replace the Tonepump Jr  - not that I didn’t like it, but because I wanted a passive option and I find a balance control necessary in church (too much risk of forgetting to turn both vols down during prayers).

So I’ve put in a Glock 2-band, which sounds great: noiseless and clear. 

I had some problems settling the cables in the cavity, and even being really careful I’m concerned about shorting the pickup wiring.

The pickups are EMG HZ passive jazz pickups with 5 leads:

Red. 

Green. 

Uncovered. 

Black. 

White. 

The black and white leads were already taped together, so I have left them. The Green and Uncovered were combined previously for each pickup, so I have kept them together.

But the Uncovered leads seem like they could easily short on the back of the balance pot.

I assume I should use insulating tape to prevent shorting, but I’m curious why EMG would leave them uncovered- is there a good reason for this?

IMG_4374.jpeg

IMG_4362.jpeg

If you check the EMG website, it has the installation instructions for the HZ range and it looks like they are humbuckers so there will be two coils. They will be configured as either series or most likely parallel.

You could put coil tap switches in to give you single/series/parallel options or leave them as they are. I would recommend heat shrink sleeving rather than tape though. Just to be on the safe side.

• Thanks 1