Why become a member? ×

jazz bass volume issue

nikon F

ive just got hold of a squier 40th jazz. needed a tweek to the truss rod to stop strings rattling and lined the cavity with slug tape which has stopped the buzz from the fluorescent tubes. ... but i cant turn the volume off from either the neck nor bridge pups. the controls work but they don't turn the volume off completely, in fact its still loud enough for me to practice in my little music room playing along to cd's with both controls turned right down. just wondered if anyone has had this " problem" . i can live with it or maybe change the pots at some point .

Sounds like the ground side is not grounded somewhere... 

Does it have a ground wire between the pots or does it use the plate for grounding ? - tighten all three pots and the jack onto the plate.

Get a croc lead and short the jack ground to a vol pot ground - does that pot now go to zero?

Jazz Bass WIRING 01D.pdf

• Like 1

On 31/03/2023 at 08:55, Bigguy2017 said:

Sounds like the ground side is not grounded somewhere... 

Does it have a ground wire between the pots or does it use the plate for grounding ? - tighten all three pots and the jack onto the plate.

Get a croc lead and short the jack ground to a vol pot ground - does that pot now go to zero?

Jazz Bass WIRING 01D.pdf 1.01 MB · 3 downloads

thanks for the reply ,,,all the wiring looks ok continuity from bridge to control plate all the pots are wired ground to each other. i ll give gak a call later and see what they say. cheers

• 1 month later...

I bought a very cheap jazz bass control plate with wiring for a project bass recently and it has exactly the same issue, I couldn’t see anything obviously wrong with the wiring. I’d be interested in what it could be.