Why become a member? ×

Sound pressure level question.

DTB

On 13/03/2023 at 15:13, DTB said:

Did a bit of playing again this morning and my ears are ringing again. If I had the bass any quieter I would not have been able to hear it. I’m sure it’s the monitors even though they are not sounding harsh now.

I am a bit worried. Is there any chance you could invite someone with needed equipment or deeper understanding of setting up a studio? Ringing is always a sign that something is wrong. Are the levels decent? I have a B&K 2260 to measure overall loudness and sometimes freq response issues. Even a cheapo unit might help you with loudness. But as long as something is not correct, please analyze it. Another pair of ears, maybe?

• Like 1

Thanks for your concern. 
i have turned the highs down on the mixer for the channel from my MacBook to take the edge off the monitors. Also the small bass cabs I use each have a tweeter. The cabs were positioned on the mixer bridge so I have angled them down slightly so they are not aiming at my ears. I play at very low levels, probably only 70 db so I doubt i am doing any damage that isn’t already there. 
However, if you recommend an app i will give it a try and let you know the results. 

A phone is not the most accurate device, you could still try one with a loudness tester as well as an RTA (real time analyzer) application. I might start with 1 kHz sine and move to few other frequencies. 20 Hz and 20 kHz are most likely no go, but something between 100 and 2k may give you a hint of what's going on. Attach the phone steadily to the listening place and aim the mic to one speaker. Use only one speaker while measuring.

Study a bit what does A-weighing mean before anything else.

• Thanks 1

I downloaded a £9.99 app with A-weighting analysis and there was quite a strong peak around and just under the 1k frequency. I have moved the monitors and the peak is gone, and the response is now much flatter across the spectrum the peak has definitely gone. The sound is now much softer. 

1 hour ago, itu said:

Very good!

Ear is very sensitive in that area. No wonder there has been ringing. Hope your studio will serve you well.

I’ve spent nearly all day in there today which is extremely rare these days, and had no ear fatigue at all and my ears aren’t ringing, at least no more than normal. I would like to thank you for your advice as it has made a massive difference and as this community knows I spend as much time as possible in the studio. 

• Thanks 1